Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On how I became a pill head

Those of you that know me, know that I am a fairly staunch advocate for Western Medicine. It stems from the great benefit I have received from it. In the right combination, under the right care, miraculous effects can be achieved. I was never able to do nearly the cardio I can do now......and I owe it all to medications that have, in essence, freed me to do things that someone without my impaired lung function would take for granted. But, despite my seeming dependence, I have never thought of myself as someone who NEEDED medications long term. I guess I always beleived that they were just a temporary fix.........a crutch until I learned some way to walk on my own.

Now, there is this whole cholesterol mess. No paragon of gustational virtue am I, but I am not emulating Morgan Spurlock's quest to live on fast food either. With Tia, in large part, controlling our diets, I eat a lot more fresh fruits and veggies than I have before, I eat less red meat, and I consume better fats. I also have lost weight and do cardio excercise fairly regularly. Yet, this has had only a marginal impact on my cholesterol. Like trying to empty a bathtub with a thimble. Suddenly I am faced with the decision to really commit to a lifetime of pills.....or face whatever repercussions elevated lipid levels yield (heart attack being the most severe). It makes me feel old in a way that I never truly did before.

Think I will head out for some fast food or a big can of lard...........a last meal of sorts. Bah!

3 comments:

tatyana said...

Hey B.
Just a suggestion but you may want to try a natural supplement called Red Yeast Rice. My dad had elevated cholesterol levels and was about to be put on Lipitor when the doctor suggested he try this first. He was able to lower his cholesterol down to normal with no nasty side effects.
T.

Anonymous said...

Your dad was able to reduce his by simply changing his diet to paying total attention to wwhat we buy and the cholesterol content it contained. I on the other hand was able to reduce mine but not enough so I have for the past three months been taking an herbal blend that is suppose to reduce by up to 24%. Will let you know in two weeks (after blood work) how that goes. Mom

Tia said...

Thanks for the suggestion Tanya and Audrey. His issue is that it is not just a little high, it's a ton high. It's high even after losing 20lbs, working out 4-5 times a week, and eating a mostly vegetarian diet with lots of fruit and veggies. His doc even said he's doing everything right.