Saturday, July 24, 2010

Moving,,,,,,,,T-minus 2 weeks

Well, this week was, eh, interesting. I spent Monday and Tuesday at home waylaid by an honest to god migraine. Haven't had one like that before. Or at least not that I can recall. Ended up getting a shot of Toradol in the ass on Tuesday for the HA and the nausea finally subsided by Wednesday afternoon (I did make it to work that day at least). Then, Tuesday night Tia came home with a worsening pain in her upper back. It got so bad we ended up at the ER that evening for her. So, suffice to say, it hasn't been a banner week. On the upside, both of us are on the mend and, as a nice bonus, my job allows me to move around my hours so that I was able to 'save' 5hrs of my sick time by working different hours the remainder of the week. Pretty cool perk. Now if I could just get them to pay for our 'holidays' without using said time at all.

The learning curve continues to be a steep one at work. I am not functionally retarded (at least not all the time), so I can handle most issues that arise, but of course I lack the experience and exposure to a lot of things as yet so I see a lot of curveballs too. Thankfully it appears like it is part of the routine at work. Lots of newer MAs (med assistants) learning and even a new doc starting up that will be learning the ropes as well. Plus, even the experienced docs screw up now and then (sending TENCs the wrong way and such), so I plan to play the new card as long as I can. Just try not to make the same mistake twice is my motto.

The move continues. The more we pack, the more we uncover that we just don't have room for or don't want to take with us. Thats the good thing about having little of actual value. Besides our bed, the downstairs TV, and our laptops (which themselves are decidedly lower end), we don't really own anything worth more than a few hundred dollars tops. I sometimes think about getting 'real' furniture. The kind that doesn't have particle board as its primary material and that you don't have to put together with allen wrenches. But, then I think of this move and the many others I have made and I can't help but think how much easier it is to not have such belongings. Though I have more things than I ever dreamed I would, I still like the idea of not being owned by them.

Tia and I have both found it amusing how many people who are in our shoes (home owners in the suburbs doing the nasty commute daily) are expressing their own desires to do what we are doing or how much they would yet like to do so. It is interesting how much the American dream of home ownership has become more an onus than a blessing for many. How many people express their frustration with the time and effort spent on maintenance, cleaning, and general upkeep and the countless thousands it costs just to maintain things. In some cases and in many places, home ownership still makes a lot of sense (though actual ownership through 30 years of payments is still elusive), but for many others it simply does not. It is shocking how many others (most many years our senior) express the same desire of trading out of their open spaces for the freedom and convenience of living in the city. Two more weeks is the mantra of the day.

Back to packing.

No comments: