Thursday, March 17, 2011

home sick

Today the fortuitous and calamitous intersected and I stayed home. I ended up not having any clinic patients scheduled and felt absolutely drug out by a cold, though I would have found a way to go in if I had a patient scheduled, largely because there is no one to run the clinic if I am gone. I don't mean that no one can (though largely that is true), but rather that they just don't have the warm bodies at the moment. One RN put in her notice, another took a personal leave. The on call staff is largely already portioned out to outlying hospitals due to other regular staff moving on or moving out. So, whereas there are supposed to be at least 4 RNs plus a charge on (and generally 5), it is not uncommon to have just 2 total lately. I help when I can, but only if I don't have patients of my own.

For me, it is frustrating because, if I need assistance of any kind, it ain't coming. Also, I turn quite a few patients away since I can only handle so much on my own, and within the bounds of my licensure. Still, given the choice, I would rather that then the chaos that must be routine now on the floor. Ah well.

Met with our financial adviser the other evening. It was interesting to be sure. Not really so much about investments and the like and more about rather abstract questions such as: What would you do if you knew you were going to die in five years? What would you do if you didn't need money? Not surprisingly, quitting working was top of the list :) A little more surprising was the lack of anything tangible from Tia or I. No homes or nicer cars or the like. Mostly just being able to be master of our own clocks and be able to live somewhere warm in the winter. That pretty much covers the biggest pieces (other than increased volunteering). Hopefully our adviser will be able to tell us how to get there.

More to come as events warrant. My head is too full of cold meds to formulate much more at the moment.

No comments: