Sunday, April 10, 2011

wash, rinse, repeat

I have been meaning to blog for some time, but it has been kind of a cycle of relative sameness (though not relative sanity.......which would actually be different I suppose), and I feel I am starting to repeat myself. But, the same themes continue to dominate.

The running theme of work being crazy remains. In fact, I just found out another of my co-workers is leaving who does primarily pediatrics which will not be easy to replace. I did not know her terribly well, but I understand she was quite excellent at her job and a very hard worker. She evidently was recruited elsewhere in the hospital because of this. What it means to me is that there are even less people to come and help.

So, what to do about it? Well, I contacted my manager and she agrees that something needs to be done to get me help. Of course, that can't/won't happen until they are staffed on the floor and that is obviously not getting any closer to fruition. So, I continue to turn down patients and potentially alienate referring providers. On one hand, I don't so much care because it isn't my business. On another, I do because it could mean my position fades into the ether. There is only so much I can do without help though.

The new computer system began last Monday and, of course, continues to have problems. I have no idea if I am doing things correctly or not either. I am trying of course, but I am primarily on my own to figure it out. I have to admit I am jealous and my clinic mates, the wound care nurses, have their charge nurse and a nurse from the northern hospital location who are well versed with EPIC sitting with them 1 on 1 all week long helping them figure out charting, ordering and the like. Meanwhile I get a few hours (over the week) of help from the EPIC tutors. I fully suspect I am doing some things wrong and others incompletely......but much like scheduling concerns, what the hell else can I do but the best with what I am given?

In other news, we have another litter of foster kittens. They are probably the least friendly bunch we have had, but are starting to come around. It is an interesting challenge in so small a space, but it feels good to be doing something nice.

We are also starting to play, in the most peripheral sense, at housing again. I really go back and forth. I think, if you can find a place in a good location with a potential upside, it can still be a good investment. However, it is a VERY particular type of property that fits that and I dont know if I am savvy enough to determine that. I do know that location seems to matter exponentially more here than it does in other places..........or at least that location is harder to pinpoint. In Florida, it is near/on the waterfront. Here, it seems to be more neighborhood specific and there are so very many neighborhoods. Trying to figure out what is 'up and coming' is the key. Plus, for us, it has to be walkable/bikable to work. Thankfully we are in an up and coming neighborhood already.

Also tried a few new places around here to eat. In simple synopsis:

Mothers bistro
- Above average appetizers with some bordering on excellent (crab cakes) and exceptional bread/corn bread rolls. The main courses were good as well, but not excellent. Drinks were mediocre. Desserts were quite good. For the price (about $80 for 2 people), not worth it IMHO. Were it about 1/2 that, I would give two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Equinox - Granted we ate here for dinner and not breakfast which they are best known for, but I have to give them a half-hearted 'meh.' The burger was underwhelming, with the biggest disappointment being the bun itself. The salad was good, if small. There was just not much memorable about it and I see no reason to go back.

Montage/La Merde - I hadn't been in some time, so we went to the adjacent bar side for HH. Excellent deals on food (the spold mac was just as good as I remembered and the crawfish fritters were flavorful and perfectly crispy. Great drink prices and fun games as well. Well worth the trip out.

I really ought to get to doing something more productive. As always, more to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Montage is a a super place, especially after an all day bender at the Brewer's Fest. And yes, Spold Mac is the way to go, fo shizzle!

See ya Sat!

~J