Sunday, January 22, 2012

still waiting for a decision


As with all corporate decisions, the phrase 'hurry up and wait' seems to pretty much sum things up. They were going to make the decision about the layoffs in mid-January (and enact them by mid-February). Now I hear late January or, possibly, mid-February to make the determinations and who knows when they will be enacted. I think I, along with most others, just wants them to make what announcements they are planning to and just moving along with it. The waiting is far worse than knowing would be.

As for my specific position, at least it remains consistently inconsistent. I have spent the past couple weeks in a relative fugue state, bouncing between not working at all and working more hours than I am schedule to with no seeming rhyme or reason to either course. I don't blame anyone for this of course, I know that those running the show are trying to be equitable and not put an undue financial burden on anyone in particular..........but it is somewhat hard to bear just the same, mostly because it is seemingly so haphazard. I often don't know much in advance if I am working the whole day or part of it or where I will finish the day once it begins.

I spent the past two days at different sites with yesterday being the kind of ultimate in yo-yoing. They asked me to come in early to start on the floor. I did, and then spent the next few hours there until we needed to add someone at the clinic. I added them for 1, but then was told that I needed to go to the Park to help out by 1, so I had to call my 1pm patient and reschedule him for, well, immediately (which thankfully worked for him). So, I ran to the clinic, opened it up and set up the supplies, performed the procedure and then shut it all back down again, ran to lunch and then spent the rest of my day in Tualatin covering for a sick call there. I am trying to be 'flexible' and help out, but it is quite wearying. But, work is work and I guess in this beggar's market, being choosy isn't in the cards. At least, for the most part, I like what I do and I try to remember the good things like when a patient calls me 'their hero' for getting IV access that no one else seemed to be able to find. It is the nice thing about having a specific skill.

From the home front, things are going pretty well. Tia is feeling less tired in general and things are progressing quite well. I have been home more and doing more around the house when she cannot (plus, I genuinely enjoy house work, it is somehow almost zen like, like when I exercise. I can block out pretty much everything else in my head and just accomplish tasks). I don't know if I would want to completely excise out working, but I would certainly be more than content to spend more time on the house and, eventually, the garden and less time roaming around the hospital.

Speaking of hospital, I seemed to have picked up some kind of bug there. Time for my weekend nap and, hopefully, waking up feeling slightly less like a pile of dog crap. More to come as always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great picture man!

~J