Sunday, February 12, 2012

On how I found myself looking at cotton diapers on a Saturday night

I have to admit that I would have laid impossibly long odds even a year ago that I would have found myself in the situation above. But there I found myself after a day spent shopping for maternity clothes and looking at compact SUVs, which will have more room than our current car, intently listening to a saleswoman explain in detail how each brand (and there were numerous) works and how to use them. We also learned about a bunch of classes including those about baby wearing and are planning on attending some at the same store. 2012 is going to be strange. Really really strange.

I should also say that on that same day we started at the gym, managed to test drive 4 cars, had pretty amazing thai food, and finished it with a visit to the spa. Even the diaper store was a happy accident. So, while strange, it was a pretty damn good day as well.

Speaking of cars: got to drive the Subaru Forester, Honda CRV (ex), Kia Sportage, and a slightly used 2011 VW Tiguan. Surprisingly, we liked the Forester least. It is a nice, solid car, lots of windows and a spectacular full length sun roof, but fell a bit short (in our opinion) of the others. The Kia was really nice, but had poor visibility and the highest sticker price. The CR-V felt the largest, but was very solid, nice enough interior and the most storage space in the class. The Tiguan I have to say would be the VERY top choice for me if it weren't so expensive and takes premium gas............but what a BLAST to drive. So fun and very 'upmarket' interior. The roof rack whistled annoyingly though. Still a few more to try (Hyndai, GMC Terrain, Rav4) and then we will probably just play the waiting game for the right time. Nicest salesperson ever though.

As for diapers, it is a pretty complex thing evidently including (but not limited to): disposables, disposable inserts, and all manner of cloth exteriors with velco or snaps, with sizes and one size fit all, and all manner of inserts including all in ones. They range for $10-$12 for a shell and a few dollars for the inserts (evidently you don't need many shells, but you need 12-24 liners) to $20/ea for the all-in-ones. Overall, it is evidently about a $400 up front cost and then you are good for the duration of diapering vs. about 4x that for disposables over the same time frame. Anyway, if I come up with any revelations I will post them here.

Last week for my boss then, well evidently, no one will be there. They are eliminating the position per my boss and that means a director will be over the department. How that will work site to site is beyond me just as I wonder who will approve our vacations and discuss the state of the department. Plus, with wound care leaving in March and with one less full time floor position at EM, we are going to be very very thin for the clinic. I still see that as something that will be ending, but hopefully not until November.

More to come as events warrant.


No comments: