Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cutting the cord

Well, it is official, we are cable/satellite free.  How long we will be is the question as I cannot recall ever not having cable.  Even in college, it seemed a necessity of sorts.  And yet, in the past 2 weeks (well, close to anyway), it has not been missed.  I still have a satellite dish to take down (it is evidently 'ours' as Direct TV will not remove them nor accept their return) and an antenna to install in it's place, but for the past few weeks we have been using the ROKU and watching TV online, if watching anything at all.

Now I won't profess now (or likely ever) to be anti-television.  I still have shows I really like and will try to find online (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Parks & Rec, Top Chef) and will want to watch at least some live football, but I honestly think I can find those shows through other means and for far less than the nearly $70/month the second year of our two year deal was costing us.   In fact, paying that much for as little time as we spent watching TV seems patently absurd in retrospect.  Like all other things, it comes down to cost/benefit, and the cost was outweighing the benefit for now.  I hope it stays that way for awhile.

Work is at least somewhat better now that I don't float as much (thanks to my manager for intervening on my behalf).  I have 2 more float days this schedule (3 total over 6 weeks), but it is less than half what I was originally scheduled to do.  The last few days (and most of the last week honestly) things have been really slow with a pretty incredible 'no show' rate.  Even my float out to Mt. Hood yesterday resulted in little more than a few PIV placements and not much else.  It has been a nice lull, but it makes the days and weeks seem so much longer than they are.

We are in the contemplation stage regarding moving......again.  This time to Milwaukie.  The idea is that the schools are better, the houses somewhat less expensive, and we could procure some more space for Q to roam about.  The reality is that it will not be easy to do.  But, if we find the right fit, maybe.  Per our Realtor, and with what we are seeing around us, our house has appreciated quite a bit since we purchased it over 2 years ago.  Something in the neck of 20%.  This is somewhat astounding to me, but also pretty awesome.  However, that is happening around us as well.   So, Milwaukie homes are not proving to be all that much cheaper.  The taxes are also about the same.  Oh yeah, and Q won't be going to school for another 4 years and, in the interim, we will both be losing our easy commutes, proximity to Parks/restaurants, and our house which we both really like.  So, again, I think it will have to be a near perfect storm.  But, it is fun to look in the interim.

Gotta run.  Q will be awake again soon enough.

No comments: