Monday, September 23, 2013

generic update

Trying to tie up a bunch of disparate events with some overarching story line that binds them together nicely like the better episodes of your favorite sitcom, but failing due to a lack of a roomful of writers so I will just go bullet point style instead. 
-          If you aren’t watching Breaking Bad, I am sure you are a lot more heart healthy than I because it feels like someone is sitting on my chest while I watch it.  Utterly amazing.  Both sad that it is winding down and impatient to see how they pull it off.
-          Sun River was a pretty darn successful family jaunt.  Cars = ability to stop and stretch at random intervals.  Plane = cramped with unhappy and very squirmy kiddo (same for dad).  So, while the theoretical 3.5 hour journey took more like 5 hours inclusive of stops, it made for a happy baby and happy parents.  As for the place itself, it was really nice/strange.  An entire planned community down to the stores, trails, and recreation center.  Massive undertaking I am sure, but quite lovely results.  I think Q will enjoy it more when he is a bit older.  For now, he just really liked playing in the sand and probably enjoyed the water feature at Wilsonville Park more than the massive waterpark like SHARC (link) rec area.  He also was not a huge fan of the lava tube.  Dark and cold is not for Q. 
-          Night Terrors = Holy shit!   Quinn got his first one of these and oh my god it was terrifying….perhaps more so for us.  He just screamed for the vast majority of an hour and refused to open his eyes.  Like he was in a trance.  How come there are no such things as night joygasms?  Same reason I wonder why dementia is always negative (people stealing from you, poisoning you, etc) vs amazing (thinking you are drinking cocktails in the Carribbean, thinking your ham sandwich is a perfectly cooked steam, etc). 
-          Work = Same old shit.  Just trying to persist until OHSU takes over.  Though, the most recent negotiating stances are not looking too hot (link).  Will be interesting to follow it from afar, but they are going to a mediator, which is the first time this has happened since the strike in 2001 (which lasted about 2 months). Main obstacle seems to be the retirement funding.
-          Meanwhile at Legacy, they did another survey of the field and are bumping us another 2% and then, in January (should I still be employed by Legacy and not OHSU), another 2% for having my BSN.  And, I ought to be eligible (again, if I am still employed with Legacy) for something when my anniversary comes up in March. None are big jumps and none will certainly put me any closer to my goal of retiring in….well, now really, but totaled they are certainly very nice indeed.
-          Sign I am getting old: I am super excited about a new Mazzy Star record.  Evidently the last release from said artist was 17 years ago when I was finishing up high school.  Sigh. 
-          Sign I am getting old #2: I am way more amped up for 3 books from my favorite authors coming out within 2 weeks of one another than I am about any movie, concert, or show this past year.  Hope this is a geeky trait I can pass on. 
-          Not missing TV yet.  Still able to catch Breaking Bad online along with my current favorite (or at least currently airing favorite) reality show Ink Master.  At least until Top Chef returns.  Plus, throw in Parks and Rec to complete the TV set.  Other than that, don’t really follow anything else.  Feeling more and more like a cultural nomad. 
-          Psyched for Sunday.  Will see if I feel the same way after. 

No comments: