Sunday, May 20, 2007

Fortuitous meetings

That whooshing noise you may hear is the sound of my extensive sigh of relief. I was prepared (prepared is probably not an appropriate word........perhaps more accurately I was terrified) for 10 hours a day of studying over the Memorial Day weekend and not much relief beyond it. I anticipated no more fun until the break in between terms when I would presumably black out from exhaustion nearly instantaneously and come to only minutes from the resumption of classes. It would, in my mind, provide the only sleep I might get other than snatches of microsleep stolen on the way to school the days that Krista drove. I envisioned snatches of texts sewn to the inside of my eyelids so I could student even with them firmly shut. I envisioned openly sobbing from stress and toeing the razor-thin line of insanity (that vision remains). However, the discussions with some former students of the program has, at least for the moment, drawn me back from the edge of the precipice.

Krista (the new roomie who is starting the program with me) and her boyfriend Brad and I decided that it might be interesting to see the school we will be spending countless hours and many thousands of dollars at before we start, so we headed in on Friday afternoon. After wandering the halls somewhat at random, we came upon two former students who were incredibly friendly and helpful (and just graduated today). They gave us a tour of the building, dispelled some scary rumors about the program (ie: your life as you know it should only exist in a suspended form for the next 12 months), and even gave us a head's up on some books we would need and some that we would not even open. They also gave us their contact information so we could bother them incessently throughout the program (I intend to).

Yesterday, we met up with another former student, Adam, who had finished up the program a year ago. His advice was very similar but much more detailed. Additionally, he had no medical background, like myself, so it was nice to hear someone come from a perspective of not knowing his way around a syringe or a catheter and, just 12 months later, starting work in an ICU unit. It still seems odd that you can absorb so much in so short a time.

So, what it means is that this program should be manageable, should provide excellent preparation, and seems to provide an overall positive experience. I am extremely relieved although still very nervous. One more day to chill out and then it begins. Keep em crossed for me.