Thursday, September 13, 2007

Vacate is the word

I have officially completed week #2 of my psych rotation. That and a hill of beans of course get me nowhere. It reinforces just how quickly time passes and how queerly short-lived these courses are. I have my midterm on Tuesday after a sum total of three actual class lectures. A big fat whatever.

As far as the classes go thus far, they are very disappointing. the psych lecture is kind of like watching a Jerry Bruckheimer movie.........except that it costs exponentially more and is far less entertaining. The class, like the movie, lasts about 3 hours and, after its over, you immediately forget what you saw. I thought I had contracted a terminal case of ADHD, but it turns out in surveying other members of the class that I am not alone. Ah well, hopefully the tests arent difficult.

The rotation continues to be interesting. The amalgam of disorders clustered together on the floor is quite arresting. there is one patient with a facial tattoo (among many other tattoos.......I think I can safely assume that NO ONE makes a facial tattoo their first), another that has bouts of mania expressed by singing and dancing, and yet another that claims millions in the bank if he can just get out. The sad thing is that once these patients do get out, where do they go? They either go to group homes or are sent to temporary housing (essentially a half-step up from living on the streets) and in most cases they relapse and end up in trouble with the law and return. In no way can you 'cure' any of these people. Thats what makes it really interesting though.....and probably incredibly frustrating too.

Speaking of temporary housing, my own situation is now tenuous. Tia and I are not nearly homeless, but we are also not really that far from needing another place to live. In the past week, the condo has fallen through (much to our delight considering what a massive tool the seller has been and Tia's desire to return to school somewhere other than ROC in the fall), there are now possible house renters (that it too much a story to detail here), and the possibility remains that it could be put back on the market..........or we could stay here. God knows what is going to happen. Hopefully we will soon too.

I need to go write my journal and catch up on assignments.