Saturday, December 27, 2008

A look back

Since newspapers, magazines, and umpteen shows are all making their end of the year lists, I thought it would be a good time to reflect on all the things that happened in this incredibly eventful year, a year in which Tia and I moved three times and called four different addresses our own.

The year began in Rochester, NY amid a background of cold and snow. I spent the first month plus wandering around the maternity ward of the hospital and saw my first birth, changed my first diaper (on a child anyway), and watched enough circumcisions to qualify myself as an expert. I followed that up with 5 weeks with children/adolescents which was both rewarding and somewhat sad. By April, clinical time was done and I was 90% to graduation. Of course, then I had to pass an exit exam, finish up group projects, and then begin to study for the most difficult test I have ever taken, the NCLEX.

May finally arrived and with that came our wedding and honeymoon, smack between the end of classes and 'official' graduation (which I did not attend). It was a whirlwind time and one that was both an amazing life change and a welcome respite from the rigors of the program. We returned to Rochester briefly, long enough to sell off the majority of our belongings, pack, and get a trailer hitch installed on Tia's car (along with selling my own). Tia's mom flew out to help us drive across the country yet again (I have had my fill of cross country moves now). Along the way, my body started to betray me.

With much studying to do, my health continued to deteriorate as did I. Within a month, I had lost 20lbs and was not improving. Turns out it was my gall bladder (Not Colonel Mustard in the study with a wrench). Thanks to Tia's persistence and Diane's aid, medication finally patched me up enough to function and I have stayed fairly solid since (my gall bladder still holds a tenuous lease with my body).

Despite the ailments, I did manage to locate my first job, pending my passing the national boards. I ended up accepting a job in Salem............and then one nearer in Oregon City. I decided against working in Salem (long commute and nagging suspicions related to some issues Tia had with them). Took the NCLEX (passed it miraculously) and began working in Oregon City. The job fit like a square peg in a round hole. Code Browns seemed to dominate most days and I often saw far too much resemblance betwixt this job and my brief but memorable time in long term care. I was miserable and felt wholly unprepared for the realities of the weeks and months that were to lie ahead. Less than 3 weeks (and two lost lunches) later, I found myself interviewing with Dr. Price and her team. A job offer accompanied the interview and, after a brief meeting with the head of the nursing team in Oregon City, I took another leap of faith.

Thankfully, the job has worked out about as well as I could have hoped. No, it isn't perfect (the benefits are porous and there remains too much time off sans pay for my liking), but I adore my co-workers and my boss and I genuinely like the job itself 98% of the time. Plus, as a fringe benefit, I will be able to hopefully conquer my own allergy demons along the way. On the whole, I feel very fortunate.

As for Tia, her job continues to treat her well. Like me, she has a good relationship with her boss and co-workers and, also like me, there are some things she would perhaps alter could she do so, but the sum is a positive one and that is a far greater thing than most jobs can profess to offer.

Now, as the year closes, we are finally free of Wilsonville and back within the confines of the Portland we had hoped to return to. I am sure the new year will offer many challenges (as they always do), but hopefully it will also come with many rewards as well. For now, I will be pleased to have some stability and possibly find myself in the same home and same employ at this point in the coming year.

PS: thank you to both sides of my family and my wife for the wonderful Christmas gifts and memories. Both are gratefully received.

No comments: