Sunday, August 15, 2010

pros and cons

Week 1 is in the books. We are now hip urbanites replete with skinny jeans, throwback kicks, and tiny dogs that fit inside a handbag. Or, pretty much the same. I think perhaps the latter.

So far I have to say there are distinct pros and cons to living down here and relying on one car. On the upside, I have not really needed a car. I walk to work. I walk to the grocery store. I walk to go out to eat. I walk to the farmer's market. I can pretty much get anywhere I need to get to regularly on foot. That is super exciting. I would give myself an environmental pat on the back were I doing it for that reason (I will give myself a small pat anyway). Honestly, the bigger impact may be from moving to a smaller place that includes far less need to air condition, heat, or maintain in general. The con is that it is hard when you just want to hop in the car and go somewhere...but the other person is using it. You end up tag-teaming a lot of errands. By and large it is not a problem.

Space: On the pro side, we cleaned it today in less than a few hours (which included putting the rest of our things away). The place has all the necessities (w/d, dishwasher, disposal, semi-large tub) as well as a few perks like the gym, outdoor common space and private wine cellar. The con is that it is pretty tight quarters and it has taken some finesse to get our diminished belongings in here. Perhaps it might be a sign that we may be able to reduce even further if we don't find ourselves in need of our stored belongings throughout our tenure here.

Overall, I am feeling far more pro than con thus far because it is far less to deal with, no commute, and less expensive to boot. Updates pending of course.

I want to write more (honestly) but I am already petering out. More to come.

No comments: