Sunday, October 31, 2010

updated..........er, sorta

I havent had a whole lot to blog about lately. Definitely would have a hard time were this a vocation and not just a place to post random thoughts. How do people come up with something daily?

Work has been, well, work. We are finally starting to train the new RN, which means we will finally be at full staff for the very first time since I started working there. What will it mean? Well, no more spending all of Tuesday afternoon on my own. As a funny aside, the on call doc of the day this past Tuesday came over to let me know he was leaving for the day and asked where the other RN was. When I said she was gone for the afternoon and that was what she always did he looked at me rather incredulously and said 'Really? So you take the calls for all the doctors in the entire clinic?" When I answered in the affirmative he responded 'good luck with that!' Not to say I am the only one, the other RN has to do the same for me on my half day as well. My point is that it is freaking bananas! Thank goodness we will finally have a full staff. I hope she ends up staying............at least until I can figure something else out for myself :) In the interim, maybe things will be far less shitty.

I am beyond thrilled that the elections are officially over. I consider myself a dem, but I honestly am developing (have developed) an aversion to all politicians. According to what I read, estimates are that expenditures for the midterm elections were between $3-4 Billion dollars. I know in Oregon, the governor's race accounted for more than $6 million for the incumbent and more than double that for the challenger. Though the data is a couple years old (2007) at that time the Governor of Oregon was paid less than $94K. Lets just guess it is closer to $100K now. Throw in free housing, etc lets generously add another $100K to the total. So, at BEST, we are talking about someone spending 30 times their annual salary (and I realize it isn't their money) to keep a job and someone spending 60-80x the possible salary to unseat that person. Oh yeah, and that is EVERY 4 years, not just a one time deal. How can that NOT lead to corruption and elected officials beholden to the special interests that support them? If Kitzhaber wins (the incumbent) he will owe the unions that kept him there. If Dudley wins, he will owe the wealthy contributors like Phil Knight. The whole thing is just horrible. We all just continue to lose when our leaders don't do whats best for the majority, but do rather whats best for themselves and the people who paid to get them there.

But, as an aside, yeah for no more political ads on the TV and my mailbox stuffed full of the same.

A couple more days to go until the weekend.........almost there. Then Foster Burger with some old friends. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

W00T W00T with a T00T T00T! Foster Burger is the tits!

~J