Monday, November 22, 2010

Indulge me

So, as I was perusing the latest Costco e-mailer I noticed this product: Shelf Reliance Thrive. Tia has explained to me that this has something to do with the Mormon's and their belief in some not too distant dystopian future in which some plague, natural disaster, or what have you will require all of us to have on hand a full year's worth of food. A LOT of questions spring to mind not the least of which are 'where does one keep all this food?' and 'how will you be protected/safe from said apocalyptic events?' and 'Why just one year?' The mind boggles. In the meantime the question remains: is death better than subsisting on a year's worth of freeze dried veggies and TVP and then, ostensibly dying yourself (or whatever their version of future events is)? Ponder it, but please don't spend much time doing so.

Two funny calls today or as I like to call them 'young men are dumb'.

- First call: young guy "I got an ammonia (sp) shot the other day and my arm is totally numb" Me: (stifling a laugh because an ammonia shot would hurt like hell I imagine) "Are you a patient at our clinic, because I am not finding you in our system."
YG: "Uh yeah, I saw a doctor there..........years ago"
Me: "Do you remember the name, because if your not a patient here, I can't offer you any advice except go to Urgent care to see a doc."
YG: "I said it was years ago and I don't remember."
Me: "Years ago you would have been a pediatric patient and we don't see pediatric patients in our clinic."
YG: "Screw this man, this is bullshit!" and hangs up.

Question - how the hell did he even figure to call us the clinic in the first place?

Second call related to a young man who, upon contracting an STD that was thankfully curable with an antibiotic was given a 7 day course. This call was a week later and, in essence, the following dumb things occurred: he stopped the antibiotics early because the symptoms went away (1), he then had unprotected sex again with someone he suspected was a carrier for an STD (2), and finally he then took the remaining 3 days worth of antibiotics the next AM to prevent the STD again (3). This was a college student who clearly did not understand how STDs were transmitted nor how antibiotics worked. Scary.

thankfully only 2 more days of it............I guess its more interesting that cold/flu and diarrhea at least (the bulk of my calls).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like an ammonia shot!

~J