Saturday, December 04, 2010

Its beginning to look a lot like...........well, Portland in winter

I have been trying to be better about posting, but have been somewhat waylaid by illness this past week. It is really tough to blog when you are A. somewhat dopier than normal due to regular doses of cold medications and B. not producing much to write about when you are doped up on cold medication and your sojourns include work to home and couch to bed.....intermixed with copious amounts of slumber. Had I blogged, it would have been something like: Woke up. Took pills. Forgot to eat breakfast. Fell asleep on couch. Woke up again wondering why I was so hungry. Made some kind of 1 or 2 step food item. More TV/sleeping. Nyquil. Wash/rinse/repeat. Compelling I know.

I did manage to make it to work most of the time during the week.......mainly because I knew it would be hell and I felt terrible about leaving my coworkers to deal with it understaffed. I was unfortunately right on with my prediction. For every day the clinic is closed, the amount of calls doubles on the following Monday. A three day weekend in September led to the most brutal Monday we had had since I started. This was a four day break and the calls did not let up until Thursday really. We ran dry of appointments most days by 10am. On one occasion, the day prior. It finally petered out around Thursday afternoon and, by Friday, was no different than any other Friday. I hope next week is better.

So, today Tia came back from her east coast shenanigans (or conference) and we decided to get out and get moving today............of course that didn't happen until nearly 2:30 after we both kind of milled around for a few hours aimlessly and belatedly realized that we had just burned through 80% of our daylight hours (they are shockingly brief here in the winter). We took the streetcar downtown, briefly ventured into Nordstrom Rack (where Tia and I simultaneously remembered that I dislike shopping normally, and HATE it when they are packed to the gills with shoppers between turkey day and commerce day). If you haven't been to the Rack, it is an experience to behold. All the name brands from Nordstrom's (albeit many brands I am not even tangentally familiar with) at reduced prices. Though, I have to admit, even the discounted prices still puts most things there at uncomfortably high prices for my liking and everything is tightly packed together, giving it the impression of a high end rummage sale and making me feel incredibly claustrophobic. Thank god for online shopping!

From there, we shuffled off to a 4 o'clock Happy Hour at Hubers which, aside from watching them make their famous Spanish coffees, was rather disappointing. The service was slow and indifferent and the food was middling. At least it was cheap. So, at least they have that going for them.

After wandering back in the blisteringly cold wind that made it feel infinitely colder than it actually was, my body quickly reminded me that I am only 'getting better' and not yet 'recovered' as I honestly feel like I have run some sort of marathon rather than just walked up the street (less than 2 miles total). Did I mention how much I hate being sick and how much it is going to hurt to get back to working out? Not looking forward to that.

Thats all folks. As I said, not much going on when you are prone most of the week.

No comments: