Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sitting on my hands

Tom Petty said it best, "the waiting is the hardest part." I agree of late, though I know it is financially prudent to wait things out. I am of course referring to our soon to be new home. We close in the middle of July, but the ink has long dried on all the documents. We could, based on everyone involved telling us/encouraging us, close earlier. However, every day earlier we move in is another day we pay rent/mortgage to two places. So, every day is about $50 (possibly more if you include all the accoutrements of modern living like water, sewer, garbage, internet, cable and the like. Still, I can't help but think about it. Every time I hear my neighbor bounding up and down the stairs in the entirely graceless way he does (coming down in echoing thuds like someone twice his size), I think about it. Every time I hear his fiancé' through the wall yelling something to him downstairs, I think about it. Every time I look at the crumbling tile around the bathtub, the wood rotting away on the deck, or start to feel a wee bit claustrophobic because our place is so small that leaving something like the vacuum cleaner out in the living room causes it to feel overwhelmingly 'cluttered', I think about it.

But, I try to remember that patience is a virtue...........one I am trying hard to attain (except while driving as that is an entirely lost cause). But still, I can't help but think about the laundry list of things we have or want to do with the house, the spaces we will have to fill, and the people we need to contact to get things done and feel, just a little bit, excited. That is until the reality of ownership comes crashing down upon us. Until then though, the warm glow remains.

Other than the above, we are fully into week 1 of couch to 5K training. It is going pretty well so far and I hope it continues the same. It is easy, but not too and the recovery times are adequate. In many ways, unlike the P90x, it feels doable. It isn't trying to command all your time and energy, just some of it (it is nearly impossible to commit to 90 minutes a day, after work, of high intensity exercise, 6 times a week. I have a hard time committing to a movie that long on a work day honestly). It doesn't begin in the middle and stay there. It doesn't assume you are coming from a high level of fitness to start with (and even if you were, it really is for people who measure fitness in single digit body fat numbers and wear sleeveless shirts to the mall). But, for people like me who needs a rolling start to undertake a fitness regimen, it is ideal and allows for further expansion like a 10k (which is about as far as I really care to take any running regimen). Now if I can just more consistently regulate a diet that vacillates from green salad, fruit, and lean proteins at lunch to "hey that pub menu looks tasty" for dinner I would be doing pretty well. Maybe I will work on that next. That is unless I see a nice pub on the way home.

No comments: