Monday, June 11, 2012

If this ride doesn't stop soon, I think I am going to vomit

Ah work.  The perpetual miasma of indecision and misdirection.  I spoke
with one of my supervisors in the morning on Tuesday and she told me 'we
are probably going to look at closing the clinic in August when you go
on leave'.   She did not mean temporarily while I was out, she meant
permanently.  The demands of staffing it when I am gone, the fact that I
do not want to work full time when I get back, and the fact that we
hemorrhage money month to month coalesced into the perfect shit storm.
So, I called Tia to tell her the news.  My options, as they were, are to
see if MP ends up posting a part time gig (still possible, but still not
concrete) or working on-call.  The advantage of on call is the bump in
pay (and extra 10% hourly) and increased flexibility.  The disadvantages
are being the first ones flexed, having nothing guaranteed, and being
required to go to any number of sites to work.  So, not ideal really,
but passable.

Skipping ahead to later in the day, the script gets totally flipped.
Evidently the long awaited financial report finally came through and,
shockingly/mysteriously we actually are profitable.  In fact, per this
report (of which I have yet to see) we are VERY profitable, especially
when you consider the size of the operation.   So now the discussion
isn't how quickly we can close it, but whether or not we should be
posting the full time gig here and getting someone trained before I
leave the full time position in October and, by the way, maybe finally
adding an additional part time position 3 days a week (which may itself
become full time).  So, now I could possibly even stay here.

Of course the reality is no one has any idea what the plan is.  I have a
meeting with the nurse exec next week that will hopefully illuminate
that somewhat.  That is the hope anyway.  Since we still have no
director and the manager role won't be filled until the director is
hired, has time to settle in, and then post the position, interview the
candidates and select from amongst them....lets just say nothing is
imminent.  The big issue for me is that we seem to be so fixated on A or
B, without ever considering C.  Why not just open it part time and see
what happens?  Honestly, that isn't likely to prove disruptive to a vast
majority of our patients and they would not have to change anything at
the moment......and could reevaluate the clinic once whoever they put in
the management positions have time to evaluate it.

This of course not only affects our financial bottom line, but really
impairs our ability to determine a good plan for the kiddo.  How do we
reserve a spot anywhere when we can't say how often we will need the
care?  How to we figure out if we can manage with one car, or need a
second?  The whole thing is a GD mess.  I hope that things clear up by
next week.  If not, just close it and let me collect unemployment and
take care of the kiddo for awhile.  Then we can all be happy :)

No comments: