Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Work

Hidden amongst the new baby acclimating that is eating the lion's share of our time and energy is my still festering work-related concerns; will they or won't they put the pieces of the puzzle together before I return to work next Monday?   Well, it looks like they will.....mostly.

While it has seemed for some time that the job I have been opening ogling at the Park would be mine for the taking, it has not gone smoothly.  To surmise briefly, they talked about it since at least February when I initially expressed interest in moving to part time for childcare reasons.  In the intervening months: my boss was terminated, the plans for my clinic vacillated between shutting it down entirely to expanding it to include another part time staff member and everything in between (and landed squarely upon changing nothing at all), and the position at the Park changed from 3 to 4 days a week and then it was rumored that the current charge there might want to take it over herself rather than work 5 days a week (before also landing squarely upon keeping it as initially intended).  Then, when it all finally looked like it just might work out, Tia had an emergency c-section 5 weeks early and exactly 3 days prior to them posting the Park job...a job for which I was no longer eligible to transfer to because I was on leave.

I have tried to get confirmation that the Park gig was mine.  But, due to what I can only imagine are fairly Byzantine human resource driven policies, no one could say anything directly.  Allusions were plentiful, but statements were difficult to come by.  So, until yesterday there was still a lot of gray instead of black and white.  Now there seems to be a plan...albeit one that is subject to many possible changes.

I go back to work on Monday.  I will return to my old job at that time.  It appears that will only be the case for one week, after which I will start my new job at the Park.  In the interim, they are not hiring anyone for my old position, relying instead on floating people from the Creek down (floating down the Creek? :) to fill in as they are overstaffed and have low patient volumes.  This will work for a time of course, until such point as they do not have low patient volumes in which case they will be in a difficult spot regarding the EM clinic.  But, hopefully that will no longer be my problem and may in fact prove to be a unique opportunity to pick up the odd shift.

What remains fuzzy are the hours/days they will be using me at the Park (what is clear is it will be 3 days/wk) and when they will hire for the EM clinic and how I (or anyone else) will manage to be available to train them at that point.  But, rather than look the gift horse in the mouth, the job is mine and I will be starting it sooner rather than later.  As much as we could have used a few extra weeks of full time pay, we are happy to trade it for the part time position that will allow for less child care for Quinn.  

Now if we could just get Quinn to sleep a bit more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

W00t! W00t!

~J