Thursday, August 02, 2012

I think we can

Today was the first day I genuinely thought, "this is doable."  I don't mean to imply that I thought it otherwise before, but today was the first day that really felt like we began to settle in to the new normal that is life with baby.

Perhaps it is a combination of sleep and another sunny but not too hot day.  Perhaps I am writing this while half crocked on Benadryl and accrued sleep deprivation (which plays some pretty amazing tricks on your mind.......I know longer can say with certainty the exact day or time things have happened over the past month).  Or perhaps it was just Tia and I actually getting out without an actual purpose.  We have made it out to baby showers, MD appointments, to pick up food, and to do some shopping, but not until today to just wander.  We took Quinn up to a local cart pod on Killingsworth and had some pretty horrible Teriyaki followed by us popping down to Alberta to wander about.  It was really nice.  Quinn slept in my arms pretty much the entire time.  He generally is very good while we are out, and then lets us have it as soon as we make it to the car.  A fair trade I suppose.

As is the pattern, Quinn melted down as soon as we got home (we have about 2.5/3 hours max between feedings) and after we got him fed and changed Tia took a nap and I took Quinn downstairs so she could sleep since she very nicely allowed me a good amount of sleep last night and he squiggled and squirmed and cried every few minutes for the subsequent hour and a half.  But, maybe I was just high on a full night's sleep, because it didn't bother me.  And, ultimately, it ended with us taking a nap in the hammock together outside.  Very nice.

Now I ought to finish and post this blog quick before I change my mind.  Every day is a new adventure.

3 comments:

AMK said...

How sweet, glad thinks are settling in to a comfortable and happy routine with Quinn. These days will fly by so take time to enjoy it all!

Lesa Pinker said...

For about the first six weeks of Theo's life, I felt like the fairly competent baby-sitter. There were times that I seriously wondered when his real mom was coming to pick him up!

Hope it just keeps getting better for you both!

Unknown said...

Thanks Lesa. It is good to know everyone else goes through it too :)