Friday, July 06, 2007

Murcenary

There are some days and weeks that are just harder than others to navigate. Not sure why that is, what cyclical issues are at play or what phases of the moon or tide may be involved, but they happen and i am in the midst of one right now. Part of it may be allergies (which have been nearly incapacitating some days), but I am sure most of it is stress related. I feel like I am in that period of time when the brain and body really want you to shut it down for a bit, but there isnt time for that. Every stressful event (my final demo) is followed by another task of some kind or another (a paper). The nature of the program is definitely not one of ebb and flow......but rather just flow. To keep up with that, you have to be on top of your game at all times. I have already had days here and there that arent my sharpest or best. Times where I would, and may have chosen to be, anywhere but studying. I think this program wont be so much about ability (as presumably all people who got in are capable), but it will be more about stamina and focus. It is a year, but it will likely feel a whole lot more than one.

In better news, the final demo went well. I am thinking with the write-up an 'A-' is likely in the cards. I of course forgot a lot of things I should have remembered, but it is done and I am quite pleased. In order to pass it you had to know how to do a 5 minute head to toe assessment (vitals, check for edema, bowels sounds, auscultate, etc) and know the 6 system exams thoroughly enough that you could do them all if you pulled them (you draw a name from a hat when you arrive to the examination). i pulled Abdominal which was rather short (thank goodness) and obviously did pretty well. Tia is happy I passed as well since I had to poke and prod her for days on end. i have heard that, thus far, three people have failed. I cant imagine how that would erode your confidence. But, that is why I study as much as I do.

I dont really have a lot to add. I am still doing pretty well in all my classes. There is one week to go before we move on to the next round of them. There are a lot of things to do between now and then as well. Speaking of things to do, I have work I need to get back to......then I am going to do something fun dammit! :)