Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Funyuns vs. Responsibilityuns

Well, I got the job at the Asthma and Allergy clinic. For some reason I tend to interview well. I just don't tend to get overly nervous I guess. Who knows? If I had a secret that I could sell, believe me I would. I just tend to get the jobs if I can get some face time.

The job itself could not be a better fit to my interests (or maladies for that matter). Hard to say if it will ultimately work out in the long run (the only way to find out is to start really), but I had a chance to talk with the nurses without the doctor around and they were raving about her. They both had experience working at hospitals before and did not enjoy it (one in a PICU, the other in a general med/surg) and have found contentment at the clinic working for this particular doctor. They spoke very highly of the learning opportunities there as well and seemed thrilled to have me on board. Then I spoke with the doctor and she was very pleasant as well. She has an impressive resume and seems genuine in her desire to train up her staff to act as not just nurses, but practitioners. Evidently she is quite specialized and has people who fly in from all over the country to seek her care. As a bonus, I was promised no diaper changes or colostomy bags and free allergy shots to boot! Oh yeah, and holidays off.

Tia is pretty upset with me about the move. She feels like she wasn't consulted and that I just did what I wanted to do without thinking about the ramifications. I understand and cannot legitimately argue the point, but it just kind of who I am. I tend to be ruled more by emotion than practicality. It is why I would be the one most likely to drop everything to go to nursing school and she would be the one to make sure I saw the idea through. We usually balance each other out well. However, in this situation, I wish she had the confidence in me to find my way and not leave her holding the financial bag so to speak and she no doubt wishes I would be less capricious and not cause us undo financial stress by finding alternative employment prior to letting go of my current job. Ultimately, I know I am being selfish by thinking about my happiness and putting that as primary above all else. I need to think more in terms of 'us' now that I am married. It is just a hard transition to make. She is more practical and is being selfish in her own right by thinking about the money that I will be losing by not working at a hospital rather than my general discontent. Hopefully it ends up being one of those painful learning opportunities that will be to both our benefit.

The whole thing, for some absurd reason, makes me think of an Onion article about snack foods. Feel free to read up as well: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28574

I have to deal with my decision tomorrow with WF. I dread it of course, but I need to do what I need to do.

Start Thursday at the clinic. Posts to follow shortly.

5 comments:

Lesa Pinker said...

As the more flighty person in my relationship, I can relate. Only after I got a job I really liked (RC) did I realize how flippin miserable I was at my old job. After that weight was lifted, I was able to be a much better spouse: less crabby, more fun to be around in general.

Tia said...

I should clarify that it was NOT about money - it was about a major life decision without even minute consultation with your life partner (lest I look like an ass from this post).

Hopefully the new job will be a better fit and poop-free. The new staff certainly sounds like nice people to work for/with.

Rose City Mama said...

Good luck on your first day! Let me know how it goes! What is the doctor's name that you work for?

Hope it all works out!

yanmaneee said...

steph curry shoes
lebron 17
kyrie 4
jordan shoes
curry 7
kobe shoes
supreme clothing
kyrie 6
kd12
bape

fiseigh said...

k0k62x8l79 q1l90f8s67 l5u49p8k55 r2z57w8r97 u5o49w3a85 d8a94s5o71