Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Last day tomorrow

As my friend Josh said to me, "You go through jobs like a vagrant goes through sterno." I thought it was apt (and funny). Tomorrow is my last day at yet another job. I always hope I will stay longer, but one thing or another seems to occur, and I am off to the next.

+ Cambridge had horrid pay and benefits and the ownership/management (not you Josh) was a joke. They wouldn't even let you have a paid sick day and NEVER so much as let us know about accruals (as if it was some European concept). The place was a meat grinder for both students and staff alike.

+ Ride Connection was a great group of people and good cause to boot. Benefits were quite impressive and their PTO was generous. I just had nowhere to go in my position and little growth within it. Hence the whole leaving to live in frigid western NY for school thing.

+ Willamette hospital. Bad fit altogether. Too much poop, too little training. A nightmare despite good pay and benefits. Did I mention poop? (That cannot be mentioned enough based on my patient poop exposure ratio).

+ 'the clinic' was a place that I loved, and not just for the lack of poop (huge bonus). Good people, decent pay, nice schedule, fun boss and interesting job. Free treatment for my own rather extensive list of allergy/asthma problems. But, the benefits, which were not great to begin with, quickly degraded and the hours were wildly inconsistent. Too little pay considering the house mortgage sized student loans. Sad to leave it all the same.

Short post...........last day and all tomorrow and we are short staffed and the schedule is loaded. Sleep time now.

Link of the moment (if you like watching a guy gag on frozen cat and dog treats: http://www.freezerburns.com/wordpress/2009/03/01/episode-63-frosty-paws-and-cool-claws-frozen-pet-food/

If you prefer Flight of the Conchords instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoCJJFuS60

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! A new post and a double shout-out! Booyeah.

~J