Friday, March 27, 2009

Inspection day or, as I refer to it, time to freak out!

Well, our offer was accepted on the house. Good in a 'wow we have a nice place to live in' kind of way and bad in a 'what the hell do we do with our remaining lease on our current residence' kind of way. Moving is kind of like Jenga, you can make the whole thing collapse with just a few wrong moves. I wish our place just had a buy out clause, but instead we will be searching for subletters. Hopefully we find someone in the not too distant future.

As for the inspection, nothing major came up, but there were, of course, enough minor things to make me REALLY think about this whole buying a home notion. Good lord there are a lot of things that you just don't give a rip about when you are renting. Some cracks in the floor (how much is that too repair?). Using the wrong possible wiring combinations (electrical safety inspection now required). A furnace in the crawl space that would requiring cutting open the floor to remove it (what in the hell!?!?). Other than that, the usual litany of doors not hung properly, some shoddy worksmanship on the caulking, and other little time consuming but not generally financially onorous repairs. Hurm!

In other news, I finished up my 2 days of hospital orientation which, while somewhat tedious, were actually fairly informative. It is clear they do a WHOLE lot for their employees from discounts at local places to very comprehensive benefits including a traditional pension plan. I feel incredibly fortunate to have gotten a job there, especially in this economic climate. The computer training was a bit less useful, only because I was really only tasked with following a minimal amount of what was covered because my position doesn't require it. Odder still, I was exempted from a lot of the other general hospital training that my friend Bob had to go through when he oriented for the same position fresh out of school. I know I have some experience now, but most of the other people orienting that had to go through the training had far more (years worth) and I can safely assure you they need the general training less than I. Just the same, I am sure I will be fine and not feeling poorly educated and incompetent for two weeks will keep my confidence high.

I better get out to do some running so I can go get my allergy shots this afternoon. What would a weekend be without swollen itchy red arms after all?

No comments: