Friday, April 03, 2009

4 days

I had the idea initially to try and post daily following my shift over the course of my first week of orientation at least. But, by the time I got home after more than 10 hours at the hospital, the last thing I could manage was sustained focus and I lacked any ambition to do more than shovel in some food and curl up to relax and hope to fall asleep so that I wouldn't be in abysmal spirits at 5:45 when I had to get up. So this journal will be a little more retrospective than I had intended.

Day 1: This day wasn't particularly vexing in any way, but left me drained nonetheless. A LOT of computer learning related to charting. They chart everything at the hospital. I would say that a fair chunk of the day is actually spent on the computer writing about what what you did, how long it took, and what equipment you used. I am a little surprised that you don't chart your charting time as well. I found this noteworthy considering just how many patients you see in a day when you are doing rounds. Other than that, I got to explore all areas of one of the hospitals. It is a nice sized hospital, manageable but large enough to accomodate some extremely varied patient acuities. Just the same, I think I will be much happier in the smaller and more sedate confines of Meridian Park. Beyond the computer stuff the day was most akin to my first day in nursing school: a blur of information spoken in terminology so foreign that I couldn't attest whether or not it was actually in English. I just smiled and nodded..........a lot.

Day 2: Returned with my brain still hurting from day 1. Spent the early part of the day learning how to start IVs and change bandages on a rubber arm and then accessed a power port and changed dressing on a rubber chest. If only real people had the delightful combination of bulging stationary veins and the ability to stoically sit motionless as I poked and prodded with my needle. Also, it is nice to have absolutely NO pressure. We spent the second half of the day on rounds looking in on a few patients. I went home exhausted again.

Day 3: Woke up feeling weird. My allergies were in their not uncommon hyperactive state and they were unwilling to leave me physically unscathed. I looked at the mirror to see blood red eyes staring back. Knowing that taking an antihistamine is not my best bet in the AM hours, but having no real recourse other than trying to explain to everyone I met that day that I was not in fact contagious, I opted to take something. Mistake.

We started the day taking one of the phones and two floors. This meant that we would be responsible for the patients on our units and any calls that came into our phone. Thankfully the phone was mercifully silent because, not long after 10, I observed my first IV start. It was evidently not a clear one as my preceptor was having a hard time getting a blood return. I started to feel very loopy and, shortly thereafter, plopped myself down on the chair so as not to pass out. I immediately felt shivers and broke out in a sweat as I willed myself to take slow deep breaths and not pass out in a patient room. I have passed out before, but only in high school for unknown reasons and after giving blood, so I know the feeling just before. However, this time I was able to staunch the wave that had heretofore always managed to overtake me. Would have made for an interesting day. The remainder of the day was uneventful and I learned even more seemingly foreign terminology and went home both confused and a bit concerned about whether or not this job would be a good fit if I couldn't maintain consciousness and all.

Day 4: Looks like it was the meds. We did 9 IV starts (I even managed my first successful one on a patient that was well medicated) and I didn't even feel a twinge of lightheadedness. No more AM antihistamines for me. I will just have to sport sunglasses when my eyes well up and tell people that I am in witness protection or something. The phone was ringing all day long and I got to see quite a bit. Left feeling quite successful and ready to tackle week 2............which will be a whole new orientation to a different hospital. Maybe I should just crawl in bed now so I will be ready for Monday.

1/4 update btw: I had a goal for new year to run 400 miles with aspirations to do 500 if at all possible. Well, 25% through, and I am above pace for 500 (close to 55o actually). I am pretty excited because most resolutions dont last me even this long. Will update again at the half way point. Wish my knees luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Brian. Keep up the running. Jen and I did the Race for the Roses on Sunday. Hope you enjoy the new gig!

We need pho!

Cheers,
~J