Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunny side

It is REALLY easy to get bogged down in your own personal drama. We all play the martyr now and again and see only the negative side of things. Woe is me abounds. I know, at least, that is how I have felt of late at work.

Truth be told, though I do truly abhor the upper reaches of management for the way they talk down to everyone else and their take it or pack up your shit and go mentality, I don't have to see them often. Too often for me to be sure, but not with any real frequency. Yes, I am going to try like hell to find a more ideal situation and yes I will continue to vent on my personal bully pulpit, but I will also try to find some perspective. Although, I am finding that sometimes perspective finds you.

I work around the truly sick all day. I see people at their last breaths too often. I don't, however, feel very connected. You have to distance yourself or you would go crazy. But, in the midst of it all, my cousin has come to visit. She is now dealing with her 4th bout of cancer, has had more body parts removed than a Camry in a chop shop, has lost her job and insurance and yet remains overwhelmingly upbeat. I am amazed. I wonder how I would deal with the same. I doubt I could persevere nearly as well.

So, in the interest of perspective I will say that, to a person, EVERYONE I work with has been on my side (at least to my face :) and supports me. I will also say that, it isn't a bad place to work even if I am alone pushing a cart all day. I will also say that I finally at least said my piece to the people that matter at my organization and I feel good about that. In the meantime, time to put my head down and try to make it to the end of the year as my near term goal.

Off to finish up another football Sunday.

No comments: