Tuesday, August 23, 2011

workadian rhythms


There is a certain rhythm to a work week and a job in general. I don't want to say you get used to it, but you adjust to it just the same. The way you roll in in the morning. The general pattern of sitting down coffee cups and booting up computers. For me, the way I set up the clinic for the day and prepare myself for whats to come.

The past 2 weeks, my schedule has been arrhythmic. I have spent more of the past 10 days at the Park than at my own clinic. I have little idea of where things are or where they go, how things are set up or broken down, and even how and when to schedule patients. It is like staying with friends or relatives. They have different kinds of peanut butter and cereal, you can't figure out where they keep the extra toilet paper and, while you are welcome, you know you really shouldn't be digging through the medicine cabinet even if you are just trying to find the Q-tips. In the end, while it is nice visiting and all, you kind of miss your bed, your cereal, and knowing exactly where the toiletries are located. With that said, it is still really nice to finally have actual conversations about work issues, bounce ideas off of one another, and generally share some actual camaraderie. I won't miss the commute though. God I hate the commute. And then our clinic out in Gresham will go live. Best not to think of that at the moment.

Speaking of work, today was a hooky day! There is something grand about not being at work when you are supposed to be at work. To be fair, I had only 1 patient scheduled in the clinic (and that was not a time intensive one). Mostly, I was just wrung out though. So, Tia (likewise wrung out and playing hooky) and I spent the day at the spa getting massages and drinking tea and then headed over to 23rd for Happy Hour at the venerable Besaw's (who evidently hold the very first liquor license in the state of Oregon back in 1916), where we ate our fill of pretty damn good food, 2 adult beverages apiece, and dessert for under $35. Highly recommended.

Allergy shots part deux have begun with no ill effects other than a generally mild flare up of my allergies in the evening (which could be attributed to pretty much anything). But no anaphylaxis or large red bumps the size of citrus fruit on my arms.

Some random things:

- Wickles Pickles are truly amazing. Spicy hot, sharply vinegary and sweet all at once. Crazy addictive. And no HFCS or other odd ingredients to boot. Plus, you can get em at Safeway.

- Lana Del Ray and her song Video Games (diet mtn do is also good). Kind of going through a more mellow phase with music and her stuff does remind me a lot of Cat Power. Also digging the Bohemian strangeness of Lykke Li which reminds me in some ways of Mazzy Star (though the latter is far more ethereal).

- Reading a fascinating, if a little overly detailed, history of Scientology called Inside Scientology. Whatever you think of the 'religion', it is an intriguing account of it's creator along with the rather strange and illegal tactics they used to suppress negative press over the years. Yikes.

Til next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We needs to hook up! I just goat a 16-book haul in from Amazon. W00t!

Stay real, yo!

~J