Sunday, September 11, 2011

Its too damn hot

I suppose there is no such thing as a perfect weather city. I know there are some that come close (San Diego) and some that are so distant from such weather no amount of money could lure me there (Fargo). It is well documented in this blog how much I hate the winter weather here, but generally the summers are pretty damned ideal, even if they are only that way for a short time. The last week or two we have had our annual heat wave, with temps routinely in the 90s. Its funny how that used to not be such a big deal to me (hell, 90 was relatively mild for a summer day in south Florida), but now I wilt in temps that elevated. Another reason I always tell people that 'I am indoorsy'.

But, to thwart the heat, I try to get up and do my runs early. Today while out jogging, I noticed a car with a windshield banner with 'Pimpin aint Eazy' across it. This was maybe 3 blocks from our house. We also have the 'pickers of Piedmont' who come up our driveway to gather recyclables. And then, within a dozen blocks or so, the periodic shootings we read about in the paper. Conversely, all our neighbors are long time residents, and some with very young kids. The newest restaurants are always opening up within the same dozen or so city blocks and there are numerous flip jobs selling quickly in the neighborhood. This, of course, is pretty much East side living. You have to make the trade-offs you are happy with........unless you can afford not to make them at all (we can't). Will be interesting to see how things evolve.

Work is still kind of a drain. I wish it weren't, but I am at the point where a vacation is more or less a necessity than a luxury (though it is that too). The point that all the minor irritations start to become major ones and the only thing you can think of getting the hell out of there at the end of the day. It isn't as though anything has changed, but it is more or less much of the same and therefore just stagnant as ever. I was just told to 'close the clinic' on the Monday and Friday of my vacation because they 'don't have anyone who can work' on my behalf. How can I hope to make anything of the clinic when it is repeatedly evident that it is expendable? I am somewhat surprised that they don't just close it altogether because clearly the revenue stream is not one they are concerned with.

Back to Sunday ticket. What a fun free new toy.

No comments: