Sunday, April 22, 2012

My $14K appendix

Okay, I haven't posted in awhile.  Largely because nothing major has happened since my surgery and subsequent return to work.  Work in fact, remains a curious balance of chaos and indecision and since the meeting between our charge nurses and our de facto (until they hire someone) boss yielded no new information and no leads, we are just kind of floating with the current.  I did get a spreadsheet regarding the clinic from my meeting with the nurse exec, but it was utterly incomprehensible and my response to it has yet to yield and reply.   They are, however, trying to work out '5 year projections' for all our clinics.  To which I have to ask, what about now?  What about 5 week or 5 month projections?  Sigh.

We got the bill for my surgery.  Just a shade under $14K.  Thankfully it only ended up costing us $116.  Yay for Tia's insurance!  Go KP!

I did another thing that I never in my life thought I would do this past few weeks.  I spent $272 on dirt and rocks.  Not a new tablet computer.  Not a weekend away.  Not a shopping spree at the mall.  Nope, dirt and rocks.  8 cubic yards of em.  Then, they all had to be hauled into the back yard, one wheelbarrow at a time.  Thankfully, it is starting to really shape up now.  After 2 weekends and some help from the moms, our backyard no longer has more weeds than grass.  In fact, it now has 5 planter boxes and rock pathways.  It has actual plants planted.  In a fit of over ebullience, we even managed to rip out all the grass/weeds from our divider and gussy that up with some new plants and gravel.  So, also, our backyard now houses a couple cubic yards of plant clippings and weedy sod.  Anyone need some compost?

We also have managed to just about finish up the kiddo's room.  Painting - check.  Furniture - check (chair, dresser/changing table, and crib with mattress).  Art/wall hangings - not so much.  But, it is coming along.  I am pretty sure Tia will post pics.

I am being required to get my WA license now or 'risk having my position terminated by June 1st'.  This has thus far involved a $30 fee to verify my current license, a $92 fee for my new license, a fingerprint card that I must find a place to roll my fingers across ($15), and then send those along with a check for $32.50 so they can pay to verify those.  So, about $170 for a license to work where we have a small hospital/clinic that I might go to 6 times a year......or get fired.  Then it is just $108 annually to keep it up.  Sigh again.

Well, as the day is startlingly flying, I probably ought to take advantage of the last few hours of light.  I have a big day involving me: fasting, doing a barium swallow study, and later fingerprinting and then work.  Oh yeah, and then a 2 hour meeting with our financial adviser.  Maybe I should just go to sleep now.  


No comments: