Thursday, September 13, 2012

All about Q


We were discussing some friends the other night who swore up and down that they would not be like everyone else and only talk about their baby.  Then, of course, they did.  Their excuse was a valid one however; they pretty much did nothing else.  I am using the same excuse for my own myopic focus.  God knows there isn’t much else going on. 

My mom got to come out to see Quinn.  I was really happy she did, because it will be hard to travel between here and Florida often for any of us.  Hopefully that changes and Quinn becomes more, not less, portable.   But at this moment, the thought of putting him on a plane terrifies me because I can only envision him unleashing his spine shivering scream for hours on end (and I should note here that I also HATE flying…..it is so tight and uncomfortable and unpleasant.  Still, it isn’t like you are going to drive instead).  The hope is that we can return the favor at some point this winter when we are climbing the walls trying to get out of the grey gloom.   Time will tell.

We had our first successful outing in awhile last night.  We made it through both a lunch and a dinner without Quinn melting down.  It takes some cajoling and some work, but it is nice to see that it can, Quinn permitting, happen.  As for sleeping at night, it is happening in fits and starts.  Since he goes through many ‘growth spurts’ we don’t (and generally I mean Tia doesn’t) get a whole lot of stretches longer than 2 hours.  It is definitely one of the toughest parts of being a parent.  Dealing with a newborn is hard.  Dealing with work is hard.  Dealing with life is hard.  Dealing with them all on contracted amounts of sleep sometimes feels damn near impossible.  It is a tough balance to strike, and it will be harder still when Tia goes back to work on the 1st (just a few weeks from now).   Thankfully Tia is an excellent partner and can pick up my slack. 

Work remains a confusing mess.  They finally hired someone to fill my full time position here (after dismissing every attempt I made to work out something).  My understanding is that she was the only one to show up for the second round of interviews.  I have no idea how she will like the gig, but since she is coming from an ER background; I think she will find it tedious and dull.  There are questions being raised if it isn’t just a step back into the system, but at this point they don’t care overmuch, preferring to have someone rather than no one.  I am, of course, a bit out of sorts that they didn’t ask me to take part in the interviews (or at least fashion some questions).  They didn’t ask anyone from the other clinics either.  So, the two people performing the interview have (had?) almost no clinical knowledge and absolutely no clinical experience.  So, the chances they hired the right person seems rather slim.

Of course, even that hasn’t exactly been well planned out.  She is starting on the 24th and then spending the next 2 weeks training at busier sites before, ostensibly, I will train her here for 2 weeks.  This isn’t a bad idea, since the 2 clinics she will visit will afford her more varied experiences.  However, I officially will not be able to be here full time starting on October 1st.  This is something that I have made very well known.  In fact, they knew I was going to part time (or wanted to) around Tia’s 4th or 5th month and knew the EXACT day I would need to go to part time since mid-July.  Oh, and I have been transferred all but physically since August 13th.  My supervisor’s response was”, ‘Oh, that won’t work.’  I love it when a plan comes together!  

Speaking of coming together, we evidently are soon to have a manager.  Just 6 months after the last one was let go.  Also, they still have no found a replacement for the full time charge here who left on the 3rd of August.  So, most days of the week, we have a charge du jour making planning ahead a near impossibility.  It is truly astounding that we haven’t imploded.  

Not much else of interest going on of late.  After all, it is all about Q at the moment.        

1 comment:

AMK said...

Loved having time with all of you, especially meeting sweet Quinn!