Friday, September 28, 2012

And then she walked out never to return


The subject kind of says it all….in an impossibly vague way.  What I mean is that the nurse they hired to replace me (you know, the one they went through 2 rounds of interviews and landed upon because she was the ONLY one that showed up after NO ONE showed up to the first round) has quit.  By all accounts she managed to make it through a few days of orientation and then 2 days in the clinic in Vancouver and then decided to move with her boyfriend to another state.  This begs the question, why bother applying for a job when you are planning a move?   Why burn that possible bridge?  I think it highly unlikely that the move was a surprise, as moves like that often are not.  It also remains a possibility that she was just not terribly interested in clinic work.  All pure speculation of course; the salient point still being that they now have no one to fill the job. 

What does that mean for me and for this clinic?   Well, much of the same as now I guess, with the exception of being able to use me EVERY day of the week to attend to patients.  I will be here Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday for, at minimum, the next 6 weeks and likely at least marginally longer.   They are opting to repost the position rather than working with my patchwork solution because, though I can cover all days but 2 a month between myself and some other staff, they feel uncomfortable with this because two other staff members are ‘iffy’ at the moment (one has a sick mother and the other has a bad history of absenteeism and appears headed for a leave of absence if not termination).  Though these staff members are not involved at all with this clinic, their likely extended absences will mean the people I could use would be covering for them instead (welcome to the bottom of the food chain).  I have been charged with trying to keep the schedule ‘light’ on the days that I am not here meaning that the intention is once again to have me run the ‘full time’ clinic on a part time basis.  Frustrating for sure, but beats the hell out of the commute to the Park.  I foresee many problems, but I will just do my best with it.  After all, even if we upset the providers by limiting service even more severely than we already do, there isn't a manager to complain to. 

Tia’s last day with Quinn at home today.  I am sure it will be bittersweet.  I know she would much prefer to have the opportunity to have gone back part time a month ago and eased more slowly into it while still getting a lot of time with Quinn, but they couldn’t make that work at her job and still allow her the full benefits.  I know she would also prefer to work 3 days a week instead of four, but that also ran into benefit issues.  At the same time, I know she is itching to get back to her career and to have some break from full time baby duty.    

Speaking of baby duty, Monday will be the first day I am with Quinn all by my lonesome.  Wish me luck.  I am sure that it will not be easy. 

    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. What a disaster at your work.

I get Fox all day on Saturdays. It's both rewarding and pretty challenging and by Jen's return, I'm ready for a break. Take a long walk and then plan to watch some streaming Netflix. Sherlock is excellent.

~J

AMK said...

You will be great...no worries!