Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A poo free day!

There haven't been many and there may not be many up ahead, but today was finally poo free. It was touch and go all shift though because my patient did wear adult briefs........but today the fates smiled upon me clearly (my patient is also morbidly obese, so it could have gotten ugly quick!) I do have the same patient tomorrow, so who knows if my luck will hold that long, but here is hoping that he chooses to do so in the care of the evening or early morning crew.

I also gave my first injections today (my mom will likely cringe just reading about it). It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, although honestly I hadn't given it too much thought altogether. I just kind of assumed we would have to do it and I hoped that I wouldn't cause the patient too much grief. Mission accomplished. Injected some heparin (an anticoagulant) into his stomach and some insulin into his arm. I can now say this much, though I didnt really enjoy giving shots, it is both a hell of a lot better than getting them and, as you can imagine, infinitely better than the whole cleaning up poo thing that I love oh-so-well.

So far, the techs seem to love us because we do the grunt work that they no longer have to (at least for some patients in our care) and the nurse's like us because they have one less patient to tend to. i am sure the hospital digs all the free help too.

Off to read and relax. Two more days and a write-up to get to before the last pre-vacation weekend. I cant wait to have some time off, see my parents, and enjoy a real beach.

No comments: