Sunday, August 05, 2007

Smells like poo

Ah clinicals, what is it about you that I love so well. Is it the early mornings? No, I hate that. Is it the white uniforms that breathe like Hefty bags? No, not a fan of that either. Must be the poo. As the song in Scrubs says, everything comes down to poo. (http://www.gibbleguts.com/scrubs-poo-song.html)

How many days does it take to get the smell out of your nose? God only knows, but I can tell you it isnt an easy thing to forget. Here is how Friday went: Our patient on Friday must have had 4-5 BMs and, instead of putting her in an adult undergarment, they seem to think that a pink pad is appropriate. Suffice to say, that can get messy........kind of like pooping directly onto your sheets. Clean up involves a lot of wet washcloths and, since the patient is largely bedridden, quite a bit of rolling her to and fro as we attempt to clean her linens (you have to roll up the dirty linens and roll the patient over top of them and onto the clean linens......not as easy as you think it might be. Next time you are extremely bored try making the bed while someone lies in it). The attending MD wanted her in her chair so, our fellow nurses (the nurse for our patient and the GN she was working with) decided we should move her with just the linens (it did not go smoothly) and then, once in the chair, the RN did not securely attach the feeding tube so the pt ended up with chocolate all over her. When we moved her to clean up, she had had another BM, so they thought we should move her back to the bed. Instead of using proper technique yet again, they opted to stand her up and pivot her, smearing poo all over her newly changed sheets (meaning we had to change them again). The patient is on contact precautions also, so while cleaning her we have to wear protective garments that are made of plastic......so now we are sweating hot on top of the smell and poo pretty much everywhere. Suffice to say, it wasnt the worlds greatest day, but mostly because the RN and GN we were working with were not pleasant (and when our NP notified the head nurse about our experience the head nurse just said, "without assigning blame, lets just say it isnt your students' fault whatsoever). We had worked directly with the head nurse and a different GN the day prior, so they knew that we did a good job. Moral of the story is that nurses (or GN in this case) with a tramp stamp are complete tools (not sure if that is a moral that can be applied elsewhere, so mold it as you see fit).

Does any of this make me want to give up? Not whatsoever......but I think we are getting to experience the worst of it for sure. I do not envy the techs and CNAs at all, but I appreciate the hell out of them. Hopefully I always remember to let them know how much I appreciate the work they have to do when I am a nurse.

On an aside rant, Tia and I went to Wegmans grocery tonite and they have the most inane alcohol policy that I have yet heard of. Tia neglected to bring her driver's license so they wouldnt sell me the beer even though I had my ID. Tia tried to argue that it was a good means to stop the sale of beer to the underaged, but that would really only prevent the sale to the truly stupid. All I would have had to do is to have Tia not be near me when I bought it and there would be no issue. Same goes for if I were 21 and was buying it for the underaged. So, all the policy really does is piss people like me off and prevents NO ONE whatsoever with a valid ID from buying beer for the underaged unless they are standing directly next to them. Kudos Wegmans!

On the other side of that coin Tia, being the overly sweet super-GF she is, went out to pick up some beer later that night. yeah for Tia and yeah for a cold Sunday night beer.

Condo inspection tomorrow. Hope everything comes our all right........or if not the inspector at least finds it. The inspector Tia had for this house couldnt have found water in the ocean.

Off to finish Potter. I am having a hard time finishing it because it will be sad that it is all over.

2 weeks til vacation!!!

No comments: