Thursday, August 02, 2007

A quick blurb

I havent a lot of time or energy tonite, so this will likely be shorter than Tom Cruise standing in a pothole. I just wanted to write how exciting it is (though wickedly tiring) to be on the floor doing actual nursing work. Sure, we also still do a lot of CNA/tech work, but we also get to distribute meds (oral and peg....which is through a parenteral feeding tube), take vitals, and clean wounds. Today I even put in a Foley catheter (which was actually less nerve wracking than I thought it would be, but largely because the patient has dementia). We are going to learn to give IV meds next week. I wont hide my terror at practicing injections on an orange and then trying to do it on a real person. Hopefully that patient will have dementia as well (so she/he can forget my feeble attempts at putting a needle in their arm). My only wish, and a longstanding wish at that, is that the days didnt start so bloody early. I am not now, and will likely never be, that agreeable in the early AM hours.

Off to finish Potter and then sleep. I have to know what happens.