Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Silverton interview

Just completed my interview with Silverton for their internship program. Here is a copy of their description of the position which largely encompasses what I know about the program: New registered nurse residency program, 9 months of clinical and classroom training in Mother-Baby care, Medical Surgical, Same Day Surgery, and outpatient clinic nursing in preparation for selection of a primary work setting. Great opportunity for new graduates interested in joining our innovative nursing team. BSN preferred.

The interview actually went quite well (from my perspective). I was asked questions ranging from "Where do you see yourself in five years?" to "Tell us about a situation when you had conflict with another person in the workplace and how did you handle it?" Very textbook interview questions from a panel of four nurse managers. I was told they will have some answer for me by Tuesday/Wednesday of next week. I have no idea how many people were interviewed or how many people will ultimately be hired, and even if I am among that group I don't know if I would be interested. All interviews are good practice though. The experience was a lot less stressful since I have a position lined up elsewhere.

It is difficult to compare the two positions though should I be offered the one with Silverton. Salem offers specialization and a broader spectrum of opportunities to advance. Silverton provides an incredible breadth of experience, but without the same depth. Also, I have NO idea how much the Silverton position even pays which, as a rural hospital, could prove significantly less. However, money only means so much if you find a good fit, an impossible thing to evaluate since I know nothing more than the websites provide having no personal experience with either locale. Questions, questions. Anyone have a thought?

1 comment:

Generation Twenty-Something said...

Hey Brian -- it's Amy's friend Kelly here. Congrats on the job! I grew up in Salem...it's a really *interesting* place. I'm sure you'll encounter some *interesting* people while working there. Salem has a high rate of meth use and sort of an overall weird vibe. I dunt know how to describe it.

The hospital itself is located next to Bush Park - a really nice park. Hope that doesn't scare you too much.

Silverton is a pretty affluent little town. Might be a different scene vs. Salem aka "Solame". Both towns are pretty white (yeah, even whiter than Portland).