Friday, July 04, 2008

4th of July update

My updates have been quite scattershot of late owing largely to the fact that my life has been quite scattershot of late. There is a definite lack of focus, because so much seems to be going on. Between dealing with medical issues, trying to unpack the house, buying all the little things that you don't think about (hard to hang up a shower curtain without a the rings), and NCLEX practice, my life feels so weirdly unfocused after having school be the center of everything for a year.

Today, as most days, I should be studying. Of course, I have a fairly legitimate excuse today as, despite the holiday, they are doing seemingly unending lawn maintenance at the apartment complex. Most exasperatingly, in spite of the size of the complex, it seems a majority of the work is being done around the building my apartment is in. I don't think it would be much louder if they were doing the work in my actual apartment. Of course, without a/c my choices are muted noise and uncomfortable temperatures or windows open and the waves or grating chainsaw noise mixed with other lawn implements. I know I am just bitching, but it is a skill that I have and i would hate to dull it with disuse.

In other news, the clock is now set for the end of my time with my gall bladder: July 18th. We had some good times together, all you can eat pizza buffets, BBQ, and po boy sandwiches to name but a few, but like all relationships there comes a time that you either have to make a commitment or go your separate ways. I wasn't willing to deal with his moodiness and mercurial nature. He wasn't able to handle me...........uh, eating things. It just wasn't meant to be.

I started working finally.........though not as a nurse just yet (pesky NCLEX test still in the way). It feels nice to earn an income. It has been more than a year since that has happened. I am working at PRE for a bit to help them out and ensure that I can at least put gas in my car. It seems like a nice place. Very familial. It makes me wonder what Salem hospital (or wherever I end up) will be like. Finding a workplace is like trying out a new bed. You can lay on them at the store and get an idea that which beds are comfortable and which ones are not......but until you spend some time sleeping on them, you honestly don't know. It isn't until a couple of weeks go by (at least) that the veneer of newness dissipates and the reality of the job sets in. It will be nice to at least see the place on the 8th. Of course, since I am supposed to start there on the 21st and my gall bladder is being removed on the 18th, discussions may have to ensue about just how long I can postpone starting (or if I can at all). I have heard nothing back from any of the other places I have applied thus far.

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July.

No comments: