Wednesday, July 30, 2008

hmmm.........interesting

It is really REALLY nice to have a day off today after having the most hellacious day I have been a part of in school or out of it on Tuesday (granted, it isn't a great breadth of experience). It is hard to explain, other than that everyone has had THAT day at some, or multiple, points in their lives. It seemed like no matter what small problem was taken care of, another one (or two or three) took its place. Even simple tasks like pushing a med through an IV line ended up taking hours as veins collapsed or IV lines were no longer patent (both on the same patient at different times during the day). For every patient awaiting discharge, two more were returning from surgery. Amidst it all there are mountains of paperwork that, somehow, you are supposed to be able to complete. I can see it on 1 patient or 2........but how you manage it on 4 or 5 is beyond me. I am guessing things aren't always entirely thorough. Just a guess.

Scrub shopping as a man is.........well, like regular shopping as a man. Most stores are 90-95% women's clothing, which are more elaborate, made with seemingly more high quality materials, and are infinitely more aesthetically pleasing. I am not asking for something with ridiculous flair or inventiveness, but it is kind of a bummer that my only options are solid colors with either 1 or 3 pockets. Couldn't they be punched up with some designs from Nike or Adidas or something? Women's scrubs are designed by Baby Phat and Grey's Anatomy to name a few. Men's scrubs look like they were designed in 1962 by a 3rd grader with remedial drawing skills and the 8 color Crayola pack and they called it done. I am just saying.

I had an interesting call today. A clinic that deals with Asthma and allergy patients called about a resume I submitted. I have an interview Tuesday of next week. Hmmm..........interesting. Having both conditions, I am acutely interested. The job will likely pay less, but afford more regular hours (translation: 5 days a week when people who don't live off of the blood of other people are awake). I will find out more on Tuesday and will, of course, post about it. In the meantime, it at least affords me something to mull over as I spend 4 of the next 6 days in the hospital and try to get a stronger feel for whether or not it is the kind of place I want to call home, or if it was just a place to pass through on my journey.

No comments: