Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bizarre

I have to admit, much to my wife's chagrin, that I have been idolizing Andrew Zimmerman the host of Bizarre Foods(for a smattering of what he has eaten, check out the episode lists on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarre_Foods_with_Andrew_Zimmern). It isn't him per se, but his cavalier attitude towards the most seemingly repulsive foods that I find so captivating. How can he eat, with such equanimity, the things that repulsed so many people on shows like Fear Factor? I have watched him rave about the flavors and textures of animal parts that we would be reluctant to put into pet food. And yet, I find it all weirdly inspiring.

I have eaten my fair share of the less common culinary delicacies. I enjoy buffalo. I adore escargot. I like the taste of rabbit, though not the tiny bones. I am ambivalent about frog legs. I have eaten fried salted ants and chocolate ensconced grasshopper. I have consumed copious amounts of jellyfish. I have even eaten Spam. I have, however, barely grazed the surface. So, in an effort to broaden my horizons, we headed out to Vietnamese food the other evening.

I have eaten Vietnamese food on a number of occassions, but have largely shied away from the few less commonly eatn fare. This time I dove right in and ordered the following: Tái, Nạm, Gầu, Gân, Sách -Eye of round steak, well-done flank, fat brisket, soft tendon and honeycomb tripe with meatballs. I have to say that I have not had tendon or tripe before and the review is honestly mixed. While I enjoyed the tendon, it had an interesting texture that is difficult to explain and excellent flavor, the tripe (beef stomach) was less satisfactory. It had nothing to do with the flavor or the appearance (though is looks nothing like anything you would find in an American eatery), the texture was just too tough and chewy for my liking. Not sure if it was not cooked properly or if that is just how it is supposed to be. Either way, another check mark next to a few new foods. I am very interested to try even more. Now, if I can just get my wife to come along with.

2 comments:

Tia said...

Yep, you're right, shouldn't have read this. :) Makes my stomach churn this early in the morning. I'll go out to crazy food, as long as there are normal options for me!

GoodNubbin said...

HA! You had a big bowl of pho! And one of my faves to boot. I recently discovered that show too, and find myself fascinated by it. Wait until you see the Eskimo one, I've never seen so many uses for blubber.