Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Winter doldrums in the fall?

When is it acceptable to start feeling officially bummed out about the overall lack of sun? Is it too early to do so now?

I am already feeling the beginnings of the winter doldrums. It manifests with such rapidity and in such a manner as to be physically affecting as a flu. I dont know when (if) I will ever acclimate to the lack of sunshine. Even a few days without it seems to drive my energy and spirits down.

My job continues to go fairly well. Of course, nothing is perfect and you take the good parts with the bad ones. If I had my druthers (and an obscene amount of money) I wouldn't work at all except for whatever pursuits availed themselves to me on my tropical island paradise. However, since that seems highly unlikely to happen, I try to deal with the realities that I actually face. On one hand, I thoroughly enjoy my workmates and my boss and, for the most part, I like the job itself. On the other hand, the benefits are mediocre (even if I pony up the dough for the premium benefits) and sometimes I get frustrated by the lack of hours and, considering that we will be closed the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas, it isn't likely the hours are going to be getting much better in the very near future either. It is a minor complaint of course......as those are times that I would prefer to have off anyway. However, I would much rather that time be paid instead of unpaid. Hopefully it levels out once the holiday season runs its course and the hours will be a bit more consistent.

Time for a drink.

2 comments:

Tia said...

All the more excuse to go to Maui for Thanksgiving. I emailed Trish today about her dad's place.

GoodNubbin said...

I highly recommend a nice tanning session for those doldrums. Of course, as a PDX-native, I'm immune to a lack of vitamin D. I also have webbing between my fingers to help get around in the rain.