Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekend

I forget sometimes how much fun weekends can be. Most are fairly unremarkable and pass rapidly (in approximately the same amount of time as my morning commute on Monday by my rough accounting). Since I have been working a lot of Saturdays lately, I haven't really had a weekend in the traditional sense for what seems like forever (but has really only been a few weeks now). The Saturday working schedule makes the weekends seem infinitely shorter even though it is only a half day, by in large because the work day starts in the early afternoon and ends at the cusp of the evening. Oftentimes I find it hard to motivate myself to accomplish much other than feeding myself and, if I have the gumption, exercising, before dragging myself downtown.

Additionally, my Friday evenings tend to be less than robust affairs. I am usually a complete and utter wreck on Friday nights because we start early on Friday.......6:45am. Those of you that know me well, know that I am scarcely a sentient being at that hour and, at the very least, should not be entrusted with sharp needles and assorted serums. It is a combination that I am fairly certain will lead to legal action at some point in the future. So, suffice to say, without a languid nap and then some liquid amphetamines ala Starbucks, I can reliably be found in or near the bed doing my best impression of a beached sea mammal around the time the evening news is wrapping up.

This weekend started off no different than any other. I got home, passed out on the couch petting our foster Wynn, and woke up groggy but rested some 60 minutes or so later. It was one of those delightful instances where instead of planning to curl up and slumber, sleep just overtakes you and you wake up disoriented and not at all cognizant of the passing of time. Somewhat refreshed, i determined to prod my endorphins into action by exercising which, in turn, woke me up. Then Tia decided that we should do all of our weekend cleaning that night (my life is a riotous party and this proves it! :), which at least did get it off the slate for the remainder of the weekend.

I began Saturday by revisiting with some old friends at the Pho restaurant that I ate at the week prior. This time I steered away from innards, but can't say I unequivacably succeeded in that regard (I will save the description for those weak of stomach, but suffice to say it wasn't run of the mill Americana though it was delicious!) It was so nice to see Josh and Jen and catch up, though we were cut a bit short because of the aforementioned work thing. Still, it was great to finally see them after my gall bladder, work, and life have prevented it from happening since my return. Plus, sometimes I think living in Wilsonville is almost as remote as living back in Rochester, as far away as we often seem to be from everyone and everything in the city proper. 20 miles seems almost like 200 when you are trying to plan something.......especially since having people come to Wilsonville does not allow for nearly as many activities, restaurants, etc as heading into Portland. It is like going to a friends house to play Nintendo vs going to an arcade. But, I digress.

After a pleasant lunch, I was off to work which was intensely hectic. Luckily Kelly and I remained sane during our first day sans Erica (I was on the brink at times I admit) and managed to plow through it. Afterwards I convinced her to join Tia, myself, Tia's parents and their neighbors at Hubers for happy hour. I am not a huge drinker, but I am not opposed to it in the slightest if given even the least provocation. And, I am helpless to resist when anyone deigns to offer up cheeseburgers, shrimp cocktails, and various other culinary delights for less than $2 to accompany said intoxicants. Add that to good company and you have a pretty good evening by all accounts.

After filling up on cheap food and expensive liquor, we headed up to Cacao (http://www.cacaodrinkchocolate.com/) which "celebrates chocolate in all its forms" according to its website. How can you argue against that? It was spectacular and crazily indulgant for just a few dollars. Its one of the reason why I love Portland......so many niche eatieries, and all of them so intriguing.

Tia and I finished out the weekend by heading out to Sushiland for some conveyor built raw eatables. I know they don't offer the highest quality, but the value and their delcious spicy but not too spicy orange hot sauce that tops their tempura asparagus and spicy tuna rolls is crazily addictive. And, for less than one Andrew Jackson, two can eat to their hearts content (proved you don't have a hankering for the $5 special plates that is). All in all, I am sure I put away some 10,000 calories, but I did so happily in highly enjoyable company. I am, of course as always, chagrined to see the fun end and the work week begin again..........but at least I know that another weekend is just around the bend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found time to relax! Your enjoyment of the spectrum of foods consumed as described in such a short span of time sounds like quite the adventure!
Can't wait till we are there to partake in the activities!
Love you, Mom