Wednesday, September 22, 2010

34 cents

I have wanted to blog one last time before vaca, so here goes what will likely be a half-assed effort.

My co-worker who was on the fence about leaving finally decided to stay which is excellent news. the sad part was what a struggle that was. With the support of both the head of the clinic and the lead MD, they went to whomever it was who decides on such monetary things with the sole goal of getting him $1/hr more. $40 a week. After some calculations and what have you the financial person offered him..........34 cents. $13.60/week. But, they assured him, he could expect a similar bump in another year. I don't know enough expletives to serve this situation effectively. Anyway, the lead PCP made an impassioned plea which stated, among other things, that a doctor might leave due to the continued staff upheaval, and finally the dollar was granted. Does not exactly make me hopeful about my own raise, but I am thoroughly proud of all involved who fought to keep a solid employee around for what really cannot mean much in the operating costs of an entire clinic.

The only other thing of note was our attempt to broaden our horizons tonite by watching a documentary about a school built in Afghanistan and run by a doctor who works at KP. Well, after he was up on stage for about 30 minutes prior to said feature starting ranting and carrying on about everything from education to poppy production, we decided it wasn't worth our time to even bother sticking around any further. So the only expansion I felt was of the throbbing in my skull from a killer headache. Lovely. Note to guy trying to get donations to support what appeared to be a good cause: shut the hell up and let your movie do the talking!

Off to bury my head under a pillow and pray that tomorrow at work is quick and painless and that there is enough time in the day to get the dozens of things on my to-do list accomplished.

No comments: