Thursday, September 02, 2010

Pearl

Finally we have dragged our way into September. Not that the months earmark any dramatic shift, except that tomorrow is a Friday before an honest-to-god three day weekend and that this month also means a real vacation......so for those reasons alone I am happy to see September arrive. Although it seems longer ago, it has been less than a month since we pulled up stakes and moved downtown, and I am still feeling burned out by it. Or perhaps it is work. Tia and I have both had our bouts of frustration and our responses have vacillated between ennui and 'hey, I hear there are teaching opportunities in Dubai!' Mostly, I think we are both just trying to hold on until our vacation at the end of the month and hoping that it will provide the time away we need to recuperate and deal. We shall see.

In other news, living here is still quite good. The downsides of not being able to open your windows because of loud noises, a rather penetrating odor that frequently bespoils our senses from the brewery (it smells of fermentation, but it is blocked out by not opening windows), and sharing confines and common spaces with many others is more than made up for by the bevy of conveniences that this location affords. Just tonite we wondered out our doors to enjoy the art, food, and spirits of first Thursday........all just a few blocks away. We have wondered a number of times into one thing or another going on that we did not even know about. There is a vibrancy to this area that I completely missed out upon living in the burbs. I can say I lived in Portland at that time, but only now do I truly feel like I live here.

Computer system was down all day at work. I have to laugh at how much we truly rely on it to do our jobs. Since I did not work in this field before, I can scarcely imagine how the system functioned at all. With all the docs seeing pts all day, how do you let them know about issues going on without interrupting them constantly and what things are really worthy of that? It is fingers crossed that the system works tomorrow since the best hope was that it would automatically reset at midnight. Not looking forward to tomorrow if it has not.

No comments: