Tuesday, June 19, 2007

One month and where I stand

So, one month after the start of school and things are still going pretty well. Yes, it is overwhelming and yes there is a lot to do and yes it will only get harder from here......but I finally found some time today to put my grades together and was a bit shocked at how relatively well I am doing. I didnt think I was bombing out, but I thought I mostly had a smattering of B's. This could change quite a bit in the next month or so (or in the next week really as I await scoring on the last Patho exam and a paper I turned in better than a week ago), but here is the run down (mostly written for myself so I can remember when I seemed to have a handle on things):

Patho: B+
Assessment: B+
Nursing Science: A-
Genetics: A

I was shocked that I was doing that well. Not because I think I am a moron, but the program really isnt easy. The amount of things we are asked to retain in a VERY short span of time is, at times, overwhelming.

Other than that, I met with my advisor the other evening (a really great guy who happened to do my interview as well) and it looks like things will get very interesting very soon. Within a month we will be learning how to inject, hang bags, bathe people and "wipe ass." Not all parts are equally enthralling. But we will get out to see actual patients and start practicing some of the things we have learned. I am both nervous and excited. We will have quite a bit of hands on experience before we get through the summer term. Just 6 weeks ago I was trying to put together a newsletter and in another 6 god knows what i will be doing. This would be an amazing adventure were it not so incredibly expensive.

Time to study for another exam.