Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sick sick sick

I hate being sick!

Not the best turn of events today. Arrived at clinical feeling nauseas which quickly evolved into me puking like a sorority girl after her first kegger. Suffice to say, with a neutropenic patient you have to concern yourself with passing any kind of bugs along in their compromised immune state, let alone hocking up breakfast on them, so I ended up being picked up by Tia in the early AM and have spent the remains of the day alternately reading, sleeping, and dry heaving. Guess which one is my least favorite?

My main concern at the moment is trying to make up the days......or if I will have to. Who knows? This was obviously unplanned, but the schedule doesn't permit much in the way of catch up. I guess I will find out soon enough. In the meantime eat something savory for me. I think I will be on the BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, toast...........though I wish it stood for bacon, red meat, apple crisp and tuna rolls) diet today and, most likely, tomorrow since my clinical instructor has already advised I stay home then as well.

Almost made it the term without illness. Almost, but not quite.

2 comments:

GoodNubbin said...

Here you go buddy, have Tia pick up the goods and whip it up for you this evening.

Chicken Noodle Soup

1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken
3 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
1 pound baby carrots
2 onions, chopped
2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
1 packet chicken noodle soup mix
2 (14.5 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 pinch dried thyme
1 pinch poultry seasoning
1 pinch dried basil
5 black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 pinch dried parsley
1 (8 ounce) package farfalle (bow tie) pasta

Place chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Place celery leaves in pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and place in a bowl until cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile, place celery, carrots, onion, bouillon, soup mix and chicken broth in pot and let simmer. Season with thyme, poultry seasoning, basil, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley.

Bone chicken and cut up meat into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Cook until vegetables are tender and flavors are well blended, up to 90 minutes.

Stir pasta into pot and cook 10 to 15 minutes more, until noodles are al dente. Serve hot.

Tia said...

Haha Josh...it seems as if you don't know that Bryan is allergic to chicken :) No need to add to the puking! But that sounds really good and I might make it for myself. Bryan is currently "loving" the rice and broth diet.