Thursday, December 27, 2007

Post Christmas/Pre-New Year

I have meant to put together a brief update since finishing up with school last week, but haven't found the time or energy until now. It has been an expedient week since that point in time and it scares me a bit to think that I am already one week more proximate to school and one week more distal from the onset of my vacation (had to use proximate and distal after hearing it so much in physical descriptions in school).

School finished with a flourish. Though they would have preferred I not missed any time from my unit (and I would have preferred not vomiting for a few days) it was determined that, though there existed a make-up day on the calendar, no one was willing to proctor it for me. Hence, Thursday was my last day. My final evaluation was quite good actually, with some room for growth of course. The comment I thought most intriguing was related mostly to my personality as a whole. To paraphrase the comment (since I am too lazy to look for it amongst the mess of our apartment; residuals of our recent move), my clinical instructor essentially said that I was somewhat enigmatic until she observed me in simulations because, on the floor, I often just did my own thing without being a 'squeaky wheel.' I took that as a compliment because it is just who I am. I don't ask for help for every little detail or I ask for help from whomever I can grab that might know rather than seeking my clinical instructor out constantly. I also just do what needs to be done with my patient and try to do so professionally and efficiently. So, all to the good.

As for classes, I finally broke through the barrier and got and A. Two actually. The other two grades were of the A- variety which I am still quite proud of. Does that mean anything? Not really......but it is nice to do well.

As I stated previously, the move is a memory (a lingering one, but a memory nonetheless). The house finally closed today after a few small snafus (The garbage situation has been the most laughable as they cannot seem to bring themselves to actually pick up the trash though Tia has repeatedly contacted them and has paid for the final pick-up service. Despite not picking it up, they have taken our trash can and sent a driver and a supervisor at this point to 'inspect' the remaining trash which, though bagged and set upon the end of the drive, is deemed somehow too 'trash-like' to pick up. We have also been informed that it needs to be in a can which is a problem since they collected the can and told us to just put the garbage on the curb. I cannot wait to have a patient that I need to clean up and then, instead of doing so, just observing them and telling a supervisor that they are too messy to clean up. Does this line of thinking work in ANY other job?). We are now officially apartment dwellers. I really hope we are able to sell a majority of our remaining belongings before we move again. I hate moving and have reason to having participated in not one, but two transcontinental moves and a total of 4 additional local moves in the span of three years.

Christmas was pleasant, though somewhat bare. We spent the eve of at Tia's friend Sherri's home. Her husband Kevin made mussels, risottos, Maine lobster with drawn butter and lava cakes amongst other dishes. Altogether fabulous. In contrast, we went out to eat on Christmas but only found a few asian restaurants open to accommodate us. We ended up at a mediocre Chinese restaurant with the fastest service this side of a restaurant with a drive through. I would bet even money that our harried waiter suffered a heart attack by the end of the evening. It will be nice to be near friends and family next holiday season.

I am certain that this update misses much, but that is to be expected of any posting. I hope anyone who reads this had a wonderful holiday season and has a happy and safe New Year's celebration.

1 comment:

GoodNubbin said...

Merry Christmas, Bryan! We are looking forward to your PDX visit! We're doing Russel Street too, baby!

~J