Thursday, January 03, 2008

7 degrees and sunny

I have already been provided the grim, and entirely typical, weather forecast for my trip out to PDX: "Rain and about 45 degrees. Repeat ad nauseum until the populace is driven suicidal." I could never be accused of loving the Portland winters. Winter in general for that matter. As horrifying cold as the temperatures have registered here lately, it has been mercifully sunny. It is the coldest place I can recall living (I can't count my time in Ohio since I spent half of it scarcely sentient and the other half sick enough to be counted not much beyond such level), and yet pleasingly sunny just frequently enough to make it bearable thus far. I forget just how much sway the sun holds over my mood.

This isn't to say that I am at all remiss to be leaving here to go to Portland, rain or no. The reality is that besides the utter lack of sun, Portland trumps Rochester in every conceivable manner. There is little enough to do here in the summer and even less when the weather in uncooperative. I still wont say that I hate it here because that is more severe than my emotions about this city run, but it isn't a place I could envision staying unless required to (say for instance, by school).

I can't wait to see everyone back in the place I now consider home. I am sure it will be all the harder to leave it again when I have to return.

1 comment:

GoodNubbin said...

W00T! Kauffman is back, baby! Let's party!

~J