Thursday, December 31, 2009

Words are good

I keep reading all these compendiums, best movies, books, songs, etc, and i thought I should join up with the herd and do a mini one of my own because, well, its my blog. Anyway, those who know me know that I love to read. It is truly one of my favorite pastimes/escapes. There is nothing quite like finding an engrossing book. One that kind of plays on your thoughts when you aren't reading it. One that convinces you that one more chapter would be a good idea before shutting it down for the night.

I like to read enough that, when someone says that they don't like to read, (and people do say that oddly enough........in my mind akin to saying they don't like to eat), I look at them like they just unhinged their jaw and ate a puppy whole in front of me. I am more incredulous than Fabio was when he found out that, indeed, it wasn't butter (read on for more dated references :). I am not saying that we all must read great works of literature.......we all like mindless fluff now and again. I am not going to list all the pulp novels that I read this year because I know that while I enjoyed them, they aren't necessarily compelling reads. So, without further ado, in no particular order, some books I dug and 1 I could not stand this past year.

The lost City of Z - Just a phenomenal read and an incredible adventure and superbly written. I think I enjoyed it all the more because it was true. Cannot recommend it enough.

The Devil in White City - Perhaps my favorite read of the year. The description of the wonder of the world's fair in 1893 Chicago contrasted with the serial murders going on in the city's midst. Once again, more amazing for being true. (Isaac's Storm is also an incredible read btw)

The Terror - brings the horrific trials and tribulations of arctic exploration vividly to life in this beautifully written historical, which injects a note of supernatural horror into the 1840s Franklin expedition and its doomed search for the Northwest Passage. Still working on this one. Ending the year with a bang it seems. Very tense.

Under the Dome - not my favorite work by King (that is either The Stand or the Gunslinger series), but an above average read and an interesting premise. A lot of characters to juggle and a body count rivaling anything else he has ever written.

Into Thin Air - Another amazing but true adventure with sadly tragic results for many who dared to climb Everest. I find it fascinating when people are willing to risk their safety and their lives for such adventure. What compels them? After reading this, I know whatever it is won't be compelling me. Anything by Krakauer is a worthy read.

The Road - Grim and heart wrenching, but gripping nonetheless. You can almost feel the hopelessness.

As an afterthought, I thought I would throw in the worst book I checked out this year: Daniel X - I know what Patterson does is less literature and more throwaway beach reads, but they are generally at least entertaining and brief. I made it through 3 chapters of this drivel and gave up entirely. Truly childlike writing. Terrible.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy new year. See you in '10!

1 comment:

Rose City Mama said...

Funny, I'm reading The Devil in White City right now. I found it on my bookshelf & can not recall how it wound up there. I picked it up the other day & it's really good- I'm about 1/4 way through. It takes longer for me these days to read a book.