Thursday, May 20, 2010

Poop sandwich

Unfortunately, save for some nice wife related things (Tia has been on major cheer me up duty of late and even brought us home some Korean Tacos for dinner...........yummy good fusion), work life has been pretty dismal.

First, a job that I REALLY wanted, I was disqualified for right out of the gate because I didn't meet the minimum nursing experience required. This wasn't really a shock, but it was a nurse educator position and they wanted 3 years of experience as a nurse (I have just over 2, though the job has no real relation to nursing since it was more about teaching the new computer system).............but I do have, you know, an education background. The whole teaching thing would, I thought, be kind of an important aspect of the position and all. But, thanks to automated application software that weeds outs applicant, I didn't even get to meet with someone to discuss it. Bummer all around.

Then, the other clinic that I shadowed in decided that they were just going to post a part-time position and an on-call position rather than using staff from IV because they felt that they couldnt offer adequate training. Since I can't work part-time for my department and on-call would put me into overtime since it is the same hospital and all, it isn't possible to work there at all now.

Thirdly, they just demoted my immediate supervisor. Well, in theory they did. They told her, and told her not to tell any of us. Of course she did tell us, but management expects us to not know this. Then, to make matters worse, they demoted one of the supervisors at EH (they eliminated that position) and moved her to MP to manage us. Meaning, we now have one additional staff member to support even though we are ALREADY flexing and floating with far too much frequency. I am guessing that, best case, this means we will be doing a whole lot more of both things. Worst case, maybe somebody has to go (and I have the least seniority). The cherry on a shit sundae.

Finally, though not directly related, school seems to be far less clear since most programs, UP included, are now moving to DNP programs. Great for the future of the profession. Not so great if you are considering doing it. It is now a minimum 3 year commitment and many many thousands of dollars. Ugh!

Meeting with REaltors has been interesting so far. Outlook is kind of grim for sellers to be sure. Good thing you don't have to pay them up front.

One more day than a few off. I could really use them now.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

GoodNubbin said...

Keep your head up, buddy! We should do lunch for sure.

~J