Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Crawling/All by myself


We got our first crawl this weekend.  Evidently the neccessary motivation was iphone and puffs respectively.  To be fair, it is more like dragging as it is probably 90% arms, but he is pretty darned thrilled about it and the whining has abated for now.

Q is also working very hard on a vertical lifestyle.  He now walks/dances/spasms his way forward with hands for balance.  He also holds himself up against the ottoman and the couch for 15 minutes at a stretch.  He will occasionally let go and try to balance himself.  I believe, were it not a balance issue, his legs are more than capable of supporting himself at this point.  One of the benefits of being small.

After visiting 2 centers and interviewing 3 nannies, we finally settled on a nanny.  Some of the differences were purely philosophical.  One center didn't believe in having the kids sit or stand with assistance, preferring they not attempt those skills until they were  ready to do so on their own.  While that is a fine philosophy, it is one I fervently disagree with.  I believe it is our duty as parents/caregivers, to provide supports for the child to learn new skills, so long as it is done safely and within the bounds of their physical capabilities.  Another place that touted itself as very eco-minded and nature oriented, refused to deal with cloth diapers because, and I paraphrase for brevity, "they are icky."  What the hell!  The other center we visited was Joyful Noise and they were very impressive, but it is still a center and, for now, I like the idea of one on one care for Q.  Especially since, at this age, the cost difference is pretty damn negligible.

As for nannies, that has its own drawbacks.  Obviously, the idea of a near stranger, bonafied credentials or no, hanging out in our house with our kiddo and pets without any supervision is a bit unnerving.  But, based on our last experience with a center, it seems a gamble worth taking.  Of the three interviews (a fourth bailed due to back issues), only one was a genuine 'no'.  She came with a 20 month old who was, well, a 20 month old.  This would not have been terribly disconcerting except that she would have been bringing her with every day.  We both thought that the divided attention would not be beneficial.  The other two were both good, but the second of the two just seemed a little too low key.  Almost sedate really.  I think it will take more energy to keep up with Q.  Fingers crossed this works out better than our stopgap nanny (who bailed a few days prior to her start with health concerns).

I am now all alone again in the clinic.  It is odd.  Perhaps I will get used to it in time, as I obviously spent most of the past 2 years that way, but it is strange at present.  I will miss having Lynne around.  She was a really good nurse and really pushed me to be a better one.  I would say the advantage would be that I am less likely to float all over hell and gone, but I still think that is likely to happen.  We had a weekly hydration patient (3 times weekly for the next month) who would have required about 15 hours of clinic care every week, who they turfed over to GS because 'we don't have the manpower' and also because 'we will need you to float to other sites to cover vacations.'  So, we turned away an insured patient and guaranteed work for the EM clinic so that we could close to cover vacations at other sites.  Sigh.  Things will really never change.

Speaking of that, I am still an employee of the Park.  The more that the above shit happens, the less inclined I am to not go to the new company as soon as the opportunity presents itself.  Despite the possible drawbacks, the idea of some (any) regard for the clinic would be nice.  Instead the department continues to treat it like an inconvenience at best.  

Lastly, yay we are going to Hawaii!  Still a few more steps to complete the process (there are always so many steps), but at least the flights, rental car, and lodging are all almost done (just the latter to finish up).  We tried in vain to rent a few places without much in the way of follow up (I understand that it is home owners, not businesses per se, but these are rental properties and as such one would think they would, you know, want to rent them) before finally landing on this place: http://www.vrbo.com/455674   Having never been to Maui, I am not sure which place will prove to be the best to stay, or which locale on the island really, but I am pretty damn sure that it will be a lot nicer there than here when we go.

Speaking of going, I ought to do so before Q wakes up if I have any hope of eating.  More to come as always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Here is my web page; Symptoms Of Methadone Withdrawal

Unknown said...

doudoune moncler
moncler jassen
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
uggs outlet store
uggs outlet
ugg australia
hermes belt
ugg outlet
nike huarache
201711.11wengdongdong