Thursday, June 26, 2008

A bird in the hand

I was waiting to post my next blog hoping to have a diagnosis and, very hopefully.......almost deliriously so, to be starting treatment of some kind that I could report. Of course, medicine doesn't often work like it does on TV, and mostly waiting is all you do. In the meantime, I have stopped my dramatic weight loss and am leveling out thanks to the magic of Zofran. Had you asked me if I EVER thought I would see 165lbs a month ago, I would have said only when the dial on the scale is flying past it. Now I am just hoping to stay somewhat entrenched there.

My job situation is still murky. I have ZERO idea what to do. I have the proverbial bird in the hand situation. I have a job that I am none too thrilled with. Bad location, long commute, and the ham-handed way in which the hospital appears to be run. However, I have debts and expenses that I am obligated to deal with. On the other hand, there are a lot of jobs out there.......as soon as I get my license that is. Some that seem like far better options than Salem.........some that, to me, are far less appealing. None are guarantees of course (though the paperwork hasn't been signed at Salem either, so that could be little more than conceptual as well). So, I could give up a somewhat certainty for the prospect of the job hunt, or I could accept my current circumstances and continue to seek while employed. Of course, neither will matter unless I pass the NCLEX. But I would rather not stress about that awful elephant in the room at the moment. What to do? What to do?

The only other mildly interesting event has been a move into YET another apartment. I genuinely feel too old for the suburban apartment at this point. The idea of renting something in a location that affords you easy access to public transit, walking distance to local pubs and restaurants, and a certain cache is still appealing, but this place has none of that. Of course, what it does have is space, relatively reasonable cost, ample covered parking, community events and a short-term lease. It will be easier to look once I have my job situation settled. In the meantime, I have definitely lived in a lot less pleasant apartments than this one. Having a washing machine is also a spectacular bonus.

Congrats to all my classmates that have passed the NCLEX already. It can be done. I hope to join your ranks soon.

No comments: