Sunday, June 08, 2008

New cars, GERD, & condos

Things are working out well in some areas and horrifically in others since Tia and I returned to the Pacific NW. My stomach continues to be problematic. I am eating less than Amy Winehouse and regretting every morsel. I have started the rather colorful regimen of purple pills and pink bismuth, but the only tangible result so far has been more time spent in the bathroom than a coke addict. On the upside, bathing suit season is just around the corner and what better way is there to get in Speedo shape?

The condo deal fell through. Despite having had a sum total of ZERO offers on it since it was listed in January, the owners weren't willing to capitulate any potential profits. It is for the good probably since it wasn't a long term fix anyway and, with the market as it stands, we could have lost out somewhat on the deal unless we were willing to hang onto it. Still, it was a bummer because it was very nicely appointed and in a nice location. On to the next.

I have been looking at cars lately. It hurts almost worse than my GERD to have to deal with the likes of most car salespeople. They love to talk about anything but numbers and, when they do, they pretend like you are the only one they are offering this special deal of $500 below MSRP. Unless you are buying a rare or highly coveted car (or in some cases, a no haggle vehicle like a Scion) than there is NO reason to pay anything near MSRP. Additionally, they always want to charge you the delivery fee (in most cases $600+ dollars) which I think is ludicrous. Either build it into the price of the product or eat it entirely. There is NO reason I should pay for you to have something on the lot for me to buy. I don't get charged an extra fee at the grocery store for a can of corn on top of the price. Ultimately, I hate the games. At Hyundai, they tried to show me every other car on the lot except the one I came to see (which they didn't have in stock). Including every used car from a Mitsubishi Lancer to a BMW 3 series and then make up information about each one. I honestly felt slimy from the interaction.

Even the internet fails to be a good place to get legitimate information. The sites that promise you instant quotes from multiple dealers leads only to them calling you to have you come in to see the car in question without any discussion of price. How this is an effective means for selling a car is beyond me.

Time to go eat another slice of plain toast while fantasizing about BBQ or sushi.

No comments: